|Tokugawa Shige Shige|
|Romaji:||Tokugawa Shige Shige|
|English:||Shige Shige Tokugawa|
|Date of Birth:||22 Jun / Cancer|
|Also known as:|| Shogun-sama|
|Height:||175 cm (5' 9")|
|Weight:||74 kg (163 lb)|
|Affiliations:|| Tokugawa Family|
|Japanese VA:||Yuuki Ono|
Raised and trained in Iga with his friends in the Oniwabanshuu, he befriended with Hattori Zenzou and Sarutobi Ayame, and received a scar while trying to rescue one of his doubles with them. After his father's death, he was supported by his uncle, Tokugawa Sada Sada to succeed him and become the 14th Shogun. Initially appeared as a puppet in the Tendoshuu's hand, Shige Shige eventually took control of himself and stood against them, to a point of planning a rebellion in Kyou. However, he was assassinated with a poison needle by one of his friends, and died on his sister lap that night.
In his childhood, Tokugawa Shige Shige was raised and trained in the Iga Clan with the Oniwabanshuu. There, he met and befriended with Hattori Zenzou and Sarutobi Ayame, both shared their philosophy into reforming the Bakufu and usually trained together. After his father died, his uncle, helped and supported Shige Shige to the position of the Shogun, but it was Rotten Maizou who morally supported both Shige Shige and Soyo-hime, and both siblings saw Maizou as a fatherly figure.
As the successor of the Shogun title, he was targeted by rival factions and, possibly, the Jouishishi. Many children were used as his doubles and risked their life to protect him. Upon witnessing one of his double sacrificing his life for him and learning of his uncle's ruthless manners towards another kidnapped double, Kagemaru, he secretly left Bakufu and rescued his double with the help of his Oniwabanshuu friends. As a result, Shige Shige was injured while protecting the double. Under Maizou's order, he was then raised hiding in Iga without Sada Sada knowing, until the time to go came.
Before a festival was held in Edo, the Bafuku asked Hiraga Gengai to build robots as a performance, as the Shogun would attend it. Tempted by Takasugi, Gengai built robots to assassinate the Shogun, but he was evacuated when the incident happened.
Albeit not directly appearing in this arc, this is the first time Shige Shige was referenced in the series.
His second reference was when he lost his pet Rurimaru in his Villa which escaped in the forest. The Shogun would ask Matsudaira for help which lead the whole Shinsengumi went searching.
In Episode 83, Matsudaira Katakuriko brought the Shogun to 'Snack Smile' to have a good time. However, as most of the hostesses were out sick, the Yorozuya and their friends had to step in. They then started playing a game called 'Shogun-sama', where they would each pick a straw, and the one who got the straw that said 'Shogun' could order one of the others around. The real Shogun seemed to have terrible luck regardless of the Yorozuyas' attempts to help him enjoy himself, and was constantly put in more and more humiliating positions thanks to their game. After having been stripped naked, Gintoki pointed out that the Shogun's wasn't 'Shogun size' but more of a foot soldier's, to which he replied it has traditionally been that size within the Shogun family. Despite all this, the Shogun appeared to be completely immune to embarrassment.
Yorozuya Barbers Arc
In another occasion of going out with Matsudaira, the Shogun insisted on visiting a barber shop to cut his mage. Unfortunately, the barber was out and the Yorozuya, who was asked to look after the shop, had to do the cutting in disguise.
Kagura threw up near him, making a naruto sticking on his forehead. Gintoki attempted to clean his face, but ended up covering the Shogun's eyes with narutos. Then, they managed to cut all of his topknot. Gintoki tried to pull out more hair from Shige Shige's head to make another topknot, thus defacing him. He tried to replace it with Kondou's pubic hair, while Kagura replaced it with dog poo.
After the Yorozuya ran away out of fear, Shige Shige thought people disliked him to this point and vowed to reform the barber shops, saying that he had no idea that the commoners braid mages under such foul conditions. Thanks to him, the barber shop was reformed into the best one in Edo.
When the Shogun insisted on swimming in the public swimming pool, Matsudaira Katakuriko forced Gintoki and Hasegawa Taizou to assist him. As expected, he ended up swimming in his briefs, due to not bringing his swimsuit. Gintoki and Hasegawa tried to introduce him to the others as "Sho-chan," but he ended up being isolated and badly talked by them to a point of crying.
To entertain the Shogun, Gintoki came up with the Porori game and divided roles by "rock, paper and scissor," with whoever lost had to jump down from the highest diving board. Though, as Shige Shige lost, he had to jump down and floated on the surface after the jump. Seita and Kagura plugged a flag into his bottom as if he was a ship.
As per Kagura's suggestion, Gintoki changed the rules and the men fought to take the others' underwears. Soon, the Shogun's briefs were pulled by the others, leaving him nearly naked. Nevertheless, the briefs were so stretchy that they did not rip even when he calmly went to buy a canned coffee.</p>
About to leave, Shige Shige told everyone that he enjoyed the game and thanked them. Suddenly, he was crashed in the head by Katsura and Elizabeth, who had been playing slides with a stool.
Matsudaira Katakuriko ordered the whole Shinsengumi on vacation to accompany the Shogun to a snowboarding exhibition. The whole Shinsengumi made the Shogun appear skillful in snowboading until they encountered Yorozuya, Otae and Katsura.
Courtesan of a Nation Arc
While the Yorozuya, Tsukuyo and Soyo-hime were playing "kick the can," Gintoki kicked it with full force, accidentally knocking out Shige Shige. Somehow, he ended up in his briefs and unconscious. To deceive his uncle, Gintoki, Tsukuyo hid behind his body and Imai Nobume faked his voice.
Overhearing the conversation between his uncle and Rotten Maizou, he gathered all police organisation, including the Shinsengumi and Mimawarigumi as a way to stand against Sada Sada. Moved by Gintoki's actions, he stepped up and confronted his uncle, to a point of willing to resign the position of Shogun to bring Sada Sada down with him. However, his resignation decree was dismissed, and Shige Shige was reinstated as the Shogun again so that the Hitotsubashi Faction wouldn't take over the throne.
In an occasion, Shige Shige was out with Matsudaira when Sadaharu fell on him from the Yorozuya's house. Sadaharu then hid the fainted Shogun inside Gintoki's closet. Following Gintoki's advice, Hasegawa Taizou threw his body along with Sacchan, who was also found inside the closet. However, Sacchan returned with the body, and put it back into the closet
Yamazaki Sagaru, under Gintoki's order, wrote "Zura" next to the Shogun's body. Unfortunately, Katsura visited the Yorozuya, knocked out Yamazaki, wrote to Gintoki and picked up Shige Shige. By pretending to have lost his memory, he joined in Katsura's Joui faction, won Katsura in the latter's tests and soon took over the leader position, much to Katsura's disappointment.
When Katsura visited Gintoki in jail, the Shogun infiltrated the Edo castle with the Joui samurai to free Gintoki. Misunderstood Gintoki's words, he and Katsura agreed that whoever killed Soyo-hime would be the faction's leader. They raced to the princess's bedroom, and Katsura managed to tear Shige Shige's clothes in the process, leaving him wearing nothing but his briefs. Upon reaching there, both of them were ambushed by the other's subordinates, as they planned beforehand.
Shige Shige admitted knowing who Katsura is, and that he just wanted to know what the enemy leader was like. As Katsura left, they promised that one of them will die next time, and the other will create a better country.
Shogun Assassination Arc
The Shogun was about to drink Soyo-hime's tea when Sacchan revealed that his cup was poisoned beforehand. Instantly, a plan to bring the Shogun to Kyou was come up, and doubles were used to diverse the enemy. Nevertheless, Hattori Zenzou, who did not join the plan, secretly brought Shige Shige to Iga Clan and replaced him with Kagemaru to fake his death.
Later, he disguised as a shinobi and came to a double's group on the land route to Kyou. There, he ordered the shinobi to kill Fujibayashi Gaimon, an insurgent who sold Iga to the Harusame. Overhearing Momochi's conversation about Hattori's actions, the Shogun attempted to surrender himself to the Harusame when they were about to attack Iga, but he was stopped by Gintoki.
During the battle between the shinobi and the Yato people, he was protected and led out of Iga by the Yorozuya, only to find the Tendoshuu at the end of the exit tunnel. Using his formerly-dismissed resignation decree, Shige Shige was dismissed as the Shogun, and Hitotsubashi Nobu Nobu succeeded the position. However, he opposed to the announcement and attempted to stand against the Tendoshuu. He then bid his farewell to his friends and went hiding Kyou to gather his allies and plan a rebellion.
In a meeting with his old friends, Shige Shige decided to see them with no guards, believing that people would not follow him if he acted like a Shogun to create a country without a Shogun. During the meeting, one of his friends, Tomonosuke, poisoned him with a needle. Reacting towards this, the Shogun only said with a smile: "Now I can finally go back to being simply Shige Shige." Moments later, he drank tea with his sister and passed away while sleeping on her lap.
Following the former Shogun's death, a national funeral was held in Edo. An investigation on his death was done by the Mimawarigumi. Consequently, Matsudaira Katakuriko and Kondou Isao were sentenced to decapitation, for the former was unable to protect him. Before his arrest, Kondou drank sake with Gintoki and dedicated the third sake cup to the Shogun.
In reaction to Shige Shige's death, Katsura threw a flower bouquet as a farewell to the deceased Shogun, vowing to keep their promise no longer as an enemy, but as a friend. Later, his faction allied with the Shinsengumi (and later Mimawarigumi, after their cover as an enemy blown up by Tendoshu easily) to overthrow the sudden return of the regime that has been repeated all over again since Sada Sada's rule and Joui war.
As the first act in rescueing their leaders, Katsura, Kondou and Matsudaira are successful, but costs the life of one of Shige Shige's trusted friend, Sasaki Isaburo, sacrificing his life to rescue Imai Nobume and his half-brother, Sasaki Tetsunosuke, this action cause all of the people who are actually fed up of Nobu Nobu's tyranny in Edo left their town, either for their safeties or joined the rebels, even Nobu Nobu's follower felt guilty of letting their leader led the country like a tyrant and Shige Shige's death, cause them to defect to Joui alliance, with Shige Shige and Sasaki's police forces are now part of Joui, as Shinsengumi as the face of rebellion.
He has black hair and a top knot haircut. He always has a a serious look. Another common joke is where the Shogun would always reveal himself wearing Brief underwear.
It was revealed by Maizou that the original Shige Shige had a scar on his back.
He is honest and has a pure heart, he would think about the people of his country. He goes out to normal civilian places to observe how people are living.
He is serious but extremely sensitive when people talk bad about him that would leave him shed a tear. He is secretly perverted with dirty thoughts when surrounded with other female characters.
Since most of the people die in front of Shige Shige's eyes in a bloodshed war. Shige Shige grew tired of seeing nightmarish things and the reason why he wants to reform the world and Bakufu for greater good.
Strength & Abilities
Not much is known about Shige Shige's combat skills. He often carries a sword with him, which is why it can be assumed that he knows how to wield a sword properly. Revealed to be trained in Oniwabanshu, he is also capable of handling Kunais quite well, allowing him to deflect the rock which was about to hit Shinpachi with his Kunai, as seen in Lesson 508.
- Soyo Hime: Shige Shige beloved younger sister, he spoils her to the point he sometimes he doesn't know what to do but he insist that she behaves appropriately as the Shogun sister.
- Tokugawa Sada Sada: Shige Shige evil uncle and former advisor. Although he helped Shige Shige to the role of Shogun, Shige Shige was left to clean up his mess and being manipulated by him. When he finds out about his past on threatning Maizou in forcing him serves Tokugawa shogunate from seeing Suzuran and cut the retainer's arms, Shige Shige hides in Oniwabanshu from Sada Sada's reign while his double takes his place and soon summons his trusted police forces such as Shinsengumi and Miwaramigumi for a coup d'etat in helping Yorozuya against his ruthless uncle and Tendoshou's reigns.
Friends & Allies
- Matsudaira Katakuriko: He frequently accompanies the Shogun. He tends to bring the Shogun to all sorts of seedy places, under the pre-text of being a 'father-figure' and a bad accompany to the young Shogun. Katakuriko resort to violence and threatens people to help the Shogun out.
- Rotten Maizou: Shige Shige most loyal retainer and a father-figure, Shige Shige felt ashamed when he didn't realized that Maizou was suffering serving the Shogun family for many years even when he was right next to him all those years because of Sada Sada. Shige Shige wanted Maizou to be happy and keep his promise to Suruzan.
- Sakata Gintoki: When Shige Shige encounters Gintoki, Shige Shige always have unfortunate situations and often seen to be stripped to his brief underwares. In the Ikkoku Keisei Arc, Shige Shige was moved by his actions and was willing to abandon his status as Shogun to save Gintoki's life from treason.
- Hattori Zenzou: He, along with Zenzou are a best friends. Zenzou has an undying loyal to the Shogun's will in reforming Bakufu. Shige Shige was taught in Zenzou and Sa-chan's school and considers Zenzou as a friend, other than his retainer.
- Sarutobi Ayame: Like Zenzou, she's also a best friend and bodyguard to Shige Shige, if she's not slacking off in her free time for sexual masochism with Gintoki.
- Shige Shige's doubles: He doesn't care if most of his doubles are a duplicate, Shige Shige sees them as a normal being and wants them live as a normal person like Shige Shige want to be.
- Katsura Kotarou: In manga 412~415, Shige Shige lost his memory after being hit by Sadaharu and was saved by Katsura, who took him in and trained him to become a joi leader. But in truth he and Katsura knew who each other were but didn't try their best to kill each other, because they both just wanted to know what the enemy leader was like. Katsura stated that there wasn't anything special about Shige Shige because no matter the joi or the Bakkufu, all the leaders are the same busy and tired-looking folks.
- Kiheitai and Harusame: Unlike Katsura's Joui force, both of these forces are a much more destructive in destroying Bakufu and wants to kill Shige Shige, thought Shige Shige has nothing to do with Yoshida Shouyou's death back in Joui war, but was actually his uncle's doing. Later, it becomes a mere ruse as they were actually used by Tendoshu all along.
- Tendoshu: Like he hate his uncle, Sada Sada, he also dislikes Tendoshu. Manipulates the world of bakufu, the humans and any kinds of different species, and even control most of the shoguns like a puppet. Luckily he survived from being manipulated, as what he sought what Tendoshu's doing is nothing more than a chaos who though they're doing their job for "heaven's will".
- Hitotsubashi Nobu Nobu: One of Shige Shige's relatives whose trying to assassinate him by sending spy to poisoned him, in order take over Bakufu. In the last Shogun Assassination arc where Nobu Nobu sent his assassin to kill him, Nobu Nobu finally takes over the Bakufu.
- Those people did not point a blade at their lord. Even if they are scorned as traitors to the country. Even if they made enemies of this whole country. I know what they were trying to protect. What binds them is not a convenient law created by statesmen. What they work for is not the empty vessel called the Shogun. It is for the law known as their own convictions and the statesmen known as their souls that they fight. No matter how much they are stigmatized. Those hearts and souls will never be defiled.
- (To Tokugawa Sada Sada) Uncle. Having been unable to stop you... I, too, am prepared to take responsibility. We go... to hell together.
- (To Tendoshuu) I ask you to leave. This is... samurai's country.
- (To Hattori Zenzou about calling by names only) May we meet again in an era when we can address each other in such a way.
- Now I can finally go back to being simply Shige Shige.
- He is based on Tokugawa Iemochi (徳川家茂), the 14th Shogun in the Tokugawa Shogunate. However, his name is based on Tokugawa Ieshige (徳川家重), the 9th Shogun.
- He and his seiyuu Yuuki Ono have the same birthday on June 22th.
- He has a golden beetle called Rurimaru.
- He bought a female monkey for Soyo-hime, which gave birth to a baby son called Jugem Jugem.
- There is a ongoing joke where the Shogun becomes the victim whenever he encounters Gintoki, which did happen 4 times throughout the series: Lesson 128, Lesson 232, Lesson 323 and the Vacation Arc.
|Families and Relations|
|Tokugawa Family 徳川家族||Tokugawa Shige Shige 徳川 茂々 • Soyo Hime そよ姫 • Tokugawa Sada Sada 徳川 定々 • Tokugawa Nobu Nobu 徳川 喜々|