Thorny Arc, also known as Baragaki Arc is the 43rd arc of the Gintama series. This arc introduces Sasaki Tetsunosuke, Sasaki Isaburo and Imai Nobume, as well as telling more of Hijikata's past.
A dim-witted boy in a noble family was sent to the Shinsengumi to be looked after and became Hijikata's page. Though, behind the Shinsengumi, the boy's half-brother, the chief of Mimawarigumi, was surely up to something..
Characters in order of appearance
- Sasaki Tetsunosuke (debut)
- Kondou Isao
- Sougo Okita
- Hijikata Toushirou (protagonist)
- Yamazaki Sagaru
- Sakata Gintoki
- Sasaki Isaburo (debut)
- Hijikata Tamegoro (flashback)
- Imai Nobume (debut)
- Takasugi Shinsuke (cameo)
- This arc is the first time Gintoki tells someone about his past as the Shiroyasha, leading to the Shinsengumi becoming aware of his real connection to the Jouishishi.