Shinsengumi is the special military police force, that formed the law-enforcement entity of Edo. With Shige Shige's death after being poisoned as a result of Nobu Nobu's assassin, same time when Intendent and commander, Matsudaira and Kondou were about to be beheaded during Nobu Nobu's reign, Shinsengumi had been disbanded in Chapter 525, until it was later revived in Chapter 529 as special force and a face of Boshin War rebellion under the alliance with Mimawarigumi and other Jouishishi factions for the late-Shige Shige sake against Nobu Nobu's tyranny, until finding out it was all part of Utsuro's set up to restore Edo to peace.
They are the service of the ruling Shogunate, in the world of Gintama. Though their main tasks usually involve going after groups/individuals in anti-government or terrorist activities, they do perform regular police duties such as street patrols. In Episode 172 they were also tasked with interrogation of dangerous criminals when other departments are unable to make any headway.
Because they serve under the government, they have been given various negative labels, such as:
- The Dogs of Bakufu (幕府の犬 Bakufu no Inu) by the Jouishishi,
- Tax Revenue Robbers (税金泥棒 Zeikindorobou) by Sakata Gintoki.
Kondo Isao, Hijikata Toushirou and Okita Sougo left their hometown Bushuu to Edo looking for sucess. However, being a group of Ronin was trouble and Matsudaira Katakuriko claims that he was the one that picked up Kondo's group and helped them create the Shinsengumi.
In the original Shinsengumi's Kyokuchuu Hatto (局中法度), there were 5 main regulations, namely:
- Do not betray the bushido creed (士道ニ背キ間敷事).
- Do not desert the troop (局ヲ脱スルヲ不許).
- Do not willfully obtain funds (勝手ニ金策致不可).
- Do not willfully get involved in disputes (勝手ニ訴訟取扱不可).
- Do not engage in personal fights (私ノ闘争ヲ不許).
- Personnel in breach of the afore-mentioned conditions will be ordered to undergo seppuku (右条々相背候者切腹申付ベク候也).
In Gintama, the Demonic Vice-Commander (「鬼の副長」) Hijikata Toushirou formulated the Kyokuchuu Hatto, known as the 45 Regulations that form the disciplinary framework for Shinsengumi members.
Kondou stipulated a new Regulation 46 to treat Shinpachi well in the Pen-pal chapter as reported by Okita (ep.127).
- Regulation 1:
- Regulation 2:
- Regulation 3:
- Regulation 4: In the event that the chief is absent, then the Vice captain is to take over the right to command, and the commanders are to carry out his orders (recited by Okita in Chapter 529)
- Regulation 10:
- Regulation 12: No comics other than that of MAGAZINE are allowed to be read within the confines of the station (recited by Hijikata in Episode 105).
- Regulation 17: Turn off handphones during meetings and important ceremonies (recited by Hijikata in Episode 105).
- Regulation 20:
- Regulation 21: Personnel conspiring with the enemy shall be punished (recited by Okita in Episode 103).
- Regulation 25:
- Regulation 25 (Supplementary Regulation): All personnel must consume 5 bottles of mayonnaise each everyday (recited by Hijikata in Episode 185).
- Regulation 45: All warriors following the path of bushido must achieve enlightenment upon death and are forbidden to turn into ghosts (recited by Hijikata in Episode 105).
- Regulation 47: Keep to protect your own life, even if that will mean to violate all the other rules!” (recited by Hijikata in Episode 312).
- Regulation ?: Smoking is forbidden.
For more details on the historical precedent Shinsengumi 新選組, refer to Historical Precedents.
Memory Loss Arc
Train Samurai Arc
Okita Mitsuba Arc
Shinsengumi Death Game Arc
Character Poll Arc
Ikkoku Keisei Arc
Courtesan of a Nation Arc
Freeze Time Arc
Grim Reaper Arc
Shogun Assasination Arc
Farewell, Shinsengumi Arc
- In the original Shinsengumi (新選組), the character for 'Shin' (新) literally means new. In the Gintama version, the character for 'Shin' (真) literally means 'real' or 'true'. There is a possibility of the manga author's pun here as there are many other characters that can be read as 'shin', which the author did not choose.
- Shinsengumi's police cars are white, where as Mimawarigumi's police cars are black, which is a contradiction to their trademark colours.
|List of Gintama Characters|
|Bakufu Organizations||Shinsengumi 真選組 • Mimawarigumi 見廻組|
|Families and Relations||Tokugawa Family 徳川家族 • Okita Family 沖田家族 • Matsudaira Family 松平家族|