Saitou Shimaru (斉藤終, Saitou Shimaru) is the former Third Division Commander of the Shinsengumi.
The only thing revealed about Saitou's past is that he was a trainee at Kondou's dojo before they came to Edo to create the Shinsengumi.
He has an orange hair worn in an afro form and red eyes. He's seen in a long Shinsengumi coat with an obi around the waist, black pants and boots and a black scarf. He is often seen falling asleep and snoring "Z".
|[Edit this gallery]|
He is reluctant when it comes to speaking with others. He was known as a taciturn, to the extent that no one has ever heard him speak nor heard his voice before. However, it was shown that he is a very friendly person as he writes names of people he wants to be friends with in his diary. It was confirmed by Okita that he has a shy nature and gets very nervous at the thought of speaking out loud. Currently after meeting with Elizabeth due to the same manner of not speaking with their actual voices, he became Elizabeth's Shinsengumi counterpart, but in contrast to the latter, he used a blank note book and pen in terminology of Sket Dance's Kazuyoshi Usui instead when his laptop was broken and under repairment. He is able to sleep in almost every situation, even before his execution.
Strength & AbilitiesEdit
He is known in Shinsengumi for his excellent swordsmanship and is a dual wielder of swords. He is able to battle Katsura for an hour without losing, and Katsura also regards him as a great enemy. His swordsmanship is so great that even Sougo who is known to be the best in Shinsengumi called him a bigger monster than he is.
Friends & AlliesEdit
- Okita Sougo: Saitou is the only non-Chief Shinsengumi member whom Sougo respect. Sougo often refers him as "Shimaru-niisan" which means "big brother", and he is seen helping out Saitou in communicating with others.
- Katsura Kotarou: Originally enemies temporarily prior to Shige Shige's death. They first met and became friends during Katsura's undercover mission to become a member of the Third Division of Shinsengumi in order to destroy it from within. After Katsura blew his cover, they became enemies and briefly fought. Later on they become friends again after Shige Shige's death.
- Elizabeth: Once enemies temporarly due to his allegiance with Katsura and prior to Shige Shige's death. Although he did capture Elizabeth prior to finding out Katsura's identity during Afro arc, he treated Elizabeth well in actuality, while Katsura taught that Saitou was torturing Elizabeth. As the series somehow progressed between Saitou and Elizabeth's relationships, they share the same modality of not speaking with an actual voice. Upon learning how Elizabeth and his species used to speak with a board text while in Renho suit, Saitou started following the Renho's way, but this resuled in his and Elizabeth's rivalry as both of them use texts to communicate with someone, something Elizabeth was displeased with, as Saitou "stole" his role.
Saitou first appeared starting a fight with Katsura Kotarou (under the alias of Hashira Afuro), after an hour of exchanging each other's blows Kondou stepped in to stop them, thus resulting a draw and recruiting Katsura to the Third Division (making him the new vice captain).
- His name is based on Saitō Hajime (斎藤), who was the leader of the third unit in the shinsengumi. His kanji meaning beginning was changed to 終 meaning end.
- His name was infered to be Saitō Shu (斎藤 終), but sorachi sensei confirmed his kanji to be read as shimaru in Lesson 488.
- His character symbol is "Z" as he is often seen sleeping and snoring "Z", the punctuation he uses in his diary is also "Z", he also writes a Z at the end of people's names who he wants to befriend with. Also, his name "Shimaru" means "end", and the last alphabet letter in English is also "Z"
- According to Sorachi the reason Nobume's Mimawarigumi uniform and Shimaru's Shinsengumi uniform are different from the standard one is because they want to look cool.
- He has narcolepsy & will fall asleep anywhere anytime at the drop of a hat.
- He is ranked 11th place in the 4th popularity poll.
- He has the same English voice actor as Mousse from Ranma ½.
- ↑ Gintama Manga: Lesson 488: page 5