Lesson 557 is the 557th chapter of the Gintama series.
A stunned Bansai wondered why Gintoki, Sakamoto, and Katsura had gathered together at the docks. Gintoki thanked Nobume for guiding them, only to be informed that Nobu Nobu had traced their movements to there. Before parting, both Gintoki and Nobume asked each other why they did what they did at that moment, as Shouyou's disciple or as Takasugi's ally. Gintoki responded that he came to the docks as a Yorozuya, while Nobume helped out due to the similarities between him and Isaburo, as both of them admitted how foolish they were. With the trio together, the Kaientai departed. On the Harusame ship, Oboro confirmed that the third party was the Kaientai, knowing that they had just left Earth with Katsura's Joui group, as Utsuro stated that Shouyou's disciples would still resist for him to the end.
On the Kaientai fleet, Bansai questioned Gintoki, Katsura and Sakamoto why they helped the Kiheitai despite their skirmishes with Takasugi. Sakamoto admitted that he had no animosity with Takasugi, believing that the others' quarrel against Takasugi was just like a typical one in their Joui days. Mutsu said that a reliable source from the Harasume had informed them about the upcoming attack on the Kiheitai and 7th Division so that the Kaientai could save some of them. Although they failed to get Takasugi, they knew he was still alive. Sakamoto stated their groups must work together to stop this powerful threat, while admitting to Bansai that he would like Takasugi to return to a nicer character from the past.
However, they were then interrupted and surrounded by another fleet, led by Nobu Nobu, who declared his intention of destroying them once and for all. The Shogun himself was interrupted by an explosion on his ship. It was revealed that the Kaientai fleet was a decoy, and that a camouflaged ship that bypassed their sensors had crashed into them from behind. To Nobu Nobu's shock, the Yorozuya, Katsura and Sakamoto appeared on the deck, with Gintoki mocking the Shogun on how soft his administration had become.
Characters in order of appearance
- Kawakami Bansai
- Sakamoto Tatsuma
- Katsura Kotarou
- Sakata Gintoki
- Shimura Shinpachi
- Takasugi Shinsuke (flashback)
- Imai Nobume
- Sasaki Isaburo (flashback)
- Hitotsubashi Nobu Nobu
- Imai Nobume: (Referring to Sasaki Isaburo, on why she helped Sakata Gintoki) It's because you're similar. You both have the same dimwitted-looking face.
- Sakamoto Tatsuma: Even if it's just fer a little while, I'd really like Takasugi to go back to being just the no-good brat he was back then.
- Sakata Gintoki: (To Hitotsubashi Nobu Nobu) Your country is soft enough ta take out in just 5 pages.
- As stated by Sakamoto Tatsuma, the title of this Lesson refers to Takasugi Shinsuke and possibly Sakata Gintoki, Katsura Kotarou and Sakamoto as well.
- According to Oboro, Sakamoto was named one of the four "Heavenly Kings" in the Joui War.
- Though, it remains unclear whether the other Heavenly Kings are really Gintoki, Katsura and Takasugi or not.
- While mocking Hitotsubashi Nobu Nobu's reign, Sakata Gintoki claimed that he could take out the country "in just 5 pages," which breaks the fourth wall.
- As seen from the following Lesson, Nobu Nobu was, indeed, surrounded after exactly 5 pages.