Lesson 549 is the 549th chapter of the Gintama series.
After the explosion, Nobume told Sasaki not to die there and reminded him of their old promise. As she dragged him up, an alive Sasaki said that he had already forgotten it.
On their way to the Shinsengumi's ship, Sasaki admitted knowing that Nobume did not kill his family, but she tried to protect them from the Naraku assassins, and that he had been using her by calling her his enemy. Therefore, Sasaki considered himself not worth for Nobume to risk her life. Despite this, Nobume continued to bring him back and insisted him not to give up, stating that they were not alone. Tetsunosuke then joined Nobume in assisting Isaburo.
In a flashback, Sasaki was trying to name his daughter, having come up with dozens of names and mailed all of them to his wife. However, he could not think of a name bearing all of his ideas.
As soon as Sasaki, Nobume and Tetsu reach the ship's entrance, Hijikata had it started off. Suddenly, behind the trio, two surviving assassins attempted to kill them, but Sasaki had took the stabs for Nobume and Tetsu and defeated them.
Back when he was naming his child, Sasaki came up with the name "Nobume," which contains the kanji of "faith" and "woman." He believed that as long as his daughter grew up healthy, he can trust her for the rest.
At present, Utsuro's ship shot the ship's entrance, causing Sasaki to fall to his death, with Nobume and Tetsu tearfully witnessing it. Looking at Nobume for the last time, Sasaki believed that his mail had finally been delivered.
Characters in order of appearance
- Sasaki Isaburo
- Imai Nobume
- Sakata Gintoki
- Shimura Shinpachi
- Okita Sougo
- Sasaki Tetsunosuke
- Hijikata Toushirou
- Imai Nobume: We may have lost everything again, but it's different from back then. The name you gave me will not disappear. Imai Nobume will never leave your side. No matter what we lose or how many time we lose it, as long as you do not willingly close those eyes, you are... We are not alone.
- Sasaki Isaburo: (Referring to his daughter) If she can just grow up healthy, for the rest, we'll just believe. She's an elite girl, after all.
- Sasaki Isaburo: (Last word) I glad I believed. You've lots of friends, you get along so well with everyone, and you're kind and stubborn, Nobume-san. My email has finally been delivered.
- In the flashback, the names Sasaki Isaburo tried to use included "Yuuko," "Kyouko," "Yuuko" (with a different kanji,) and "Ganko." These names' meanings, respectively, are "friends," "cooperation," "kind," and "obstinate," with the second kanji of them (子, ko) meaning "child."
- Whilst falling to his death, Sasaki believed that Nobume had all of these traits.