|Japanese Name:||近藤 勲|
|Romanized Name:||Kondō Isao|
|English Name:||Isao Kondo|
|Epithet:|| Gorilla |
Fruit Chinpo Samurai
|First Appearance:||Episode 1 (special) , Episode 5 (official) , Lesson 8|
|Occupations:|| Shinsengumi Commander |
|Height:||184 cm (6' ½")|
|Weight:||80 kg (176 lb)|
|Japanese VA:||Chiba Susumu|
|English VA:||David Wald (movie)|
Kondou Isao ( 近藤 勲 Kondō Isao ), also known as Gorilla, is the Commander of the Shinsengumi. When not working (which is often the case, the vice-commander, Hijikata Toushirou is the person who is doing the main jobs in Shinsengumi), he is also the stalker of Shimura Tae, earning him the nickname Gorilla-stalker.
Even though the Shinsengumi are loyal to Kondou, he often has to use the Shinsengumi Vice-Commander Hijikata Toushirou to settle them down (with harsh words or use of violence) before conducting a speech.
In his childhood, Kondou was a member of a dojou ran by Kanchou in Bushuu. There, he would soon meet Okita Sougo and Hijikata Toushirou, recruiting them both to his dojou. Kondou would later on take all the members with him and move from Bushuu to Edo in search for success, becoming what is now the Shinsengumi.
Kondou is tanned, has brown hair and a goatee. He usually wears a Shinsengumi uniform, though in many situations he is found naked, believing that being naked is a show of bigheart. It's a running gag that his normal appearance resembles that of a gorilla, so the other characters "mistake" him for one, and although he often gets angry with them for using that nickname, he sometimes uses the same word to identify himself.
|[Edit this gallery]|
Kondou is kindhearted and trusting with his subordinates. Most of the members of the Shinsengumi are fiercely loyal to him, as seen in the Mutiny Chapter. Shinsengumi's 1st Division Captain Okita Sougo often remarks that Kondou's nice-guy attitude is also his weakness as he never notices negative points about other people. In the Mutiny Chapter, he was described by Itou Kamotarou as honest and pure (seiren) 清廉 , and unsullied (muku) 無垢. In the same Chapter, Hijikata Toushirou described him as the soul of the Shinsengumi, and the rest of them being the sword that protects him. Hijikata also said that everybody joined the Shinsengumi so that they could be with Kondou, and that as long as he was there, the Shinsengumi would not be finished. He mentioned to Itou that he felt he wasn't suitable to take the role of the commander but as a comrade that couldn't stand seeing the sight of losing friends.
Strength & AbilitesEdit
He was trained in his dojou in Bushuu.
Not much is known about his skills as a swordman but he was able to beat Toujou Ayumu who was the leader of the 四天王 Shitennou aka 4 Devas, he is the most highly skilled amongst the 4 Devas, and that the other 3 can't even compare to him.
Kondo wields a katana known as Kotetsu, he nicknamed Kotetsu-chan which he accidentally breaks before paying off the loans. Later purchases Kotetsu Z-II which easily (and purposely) gets broken by Sogo.
Friends & AlliesEdit
- Okita Sougo: Sougo as a child had trouble fitting in, Kondou found Sougo playing by himself joined in and invited him to the Doujou. Sougo was noted having the most potential in the doujo. In the Mitsuba Chapter, Kondou said to Sougo that if one of them (Toushirou or Sougo) ever strayed, then the other two would punch him back to where he belongs. Kondou explains that having terrible friends in your life isn't a bad thing.
- Yagyuu Kyuubei: He was her enemy and love rival at first, but in time they became friends. The relationship between them is weird but strong.
- Hijikata Toushirou: Kondou found Toushiro beaten, he found him a very interesting character so he saved him and invited him to his doujo.
- Matsudaira Katakuriko: Kondou answers to his superior Matsudaira Katakuriko, a high-ranking government officer under direct control of the Bakufu. Matsudaira Katakuriko usally sets up politically arranged marriages for Kondo.
- Matsudaira Kuriko: Kondo said that Kuriko is like a little sister to him. He tried to help assassinate Shichibei when Katakuriko told him about her new boyfriend.
- Shimura Shinpachi: In the Yagyuu Chapter, Kondou had his mind set on being Shimura Shinpachi's brother-in-law, even going as far as saying Shinpachi was the only one he could entrust the Shinsengumi to, much to Shinpachi's annoyance, answering that he doesn't give a damn about the Shinsengumi. Kondou even added a new Regulation: "Yorozuya is to be hated, but treat Shinpachi well".
- Sakata Gintoki: After his duel with Gintoki, he and Kondo usually got along well. Although he wrote down a new Regulation that Yorozuya is to be hated, Kondo actually respects Gintoki as Yamazaki stated in episode 32.
- Shimura Tae: Kondou once asked Shimura Tae whether she would still love her boyfriend if he had a hairy butt. She became the target of his stalking when she replied that she would love her boyfriend just as much, hairy butt and all. Being a persistent stalker of Shimura Tae, Kondou is often seen showing up in strange places around Shimura Tae and is always getting beat up or threatened by her, as she highly disapproves of his stalking and affection towards her. After Yagyu arc, Hijitaka claims that Otae likes Kondo though she still beats him. In Episode 205, Otae actually agrees to go to a baseball match with Kondo but the date ends in disaster.
- Princess Bubbles: Matsudaira Katakuriko arranged a wedding meeting with Kondo but Kondo was terrified as he saw a large gorilla. After he pooped and kicked the Princess, she fell in love with Kondo. When they're about to consumate in their wedding, Otae interrutpted their wedding ceremony.
- Princess Screw: When Kondo became a screw driver, Matsudaira Katakuriko once again tried to set up a politcal wedding for Kondo.
- Otakai Sayaka: A game character from Love Choris, Kondo chose her and they appealed to be in love but it turned out that Sougo made her into her slave.
- Katsura Kotarou: Katsura is Kondo's rival for being a Jouishishi faction leader. Kondo always chases after Katsura. They abicker for the similiarity of their online nickname.
When Shinsengumi first appeared, Hijikata Toushirou in a place of Kondo Isao (he was stalking Shimura Tae 志村 妙 at the time) leads an attack against Joui Patroits. After learning that a silver haired samurai beated Kondo Isao in a duel, the whole Shinsengumi went seeking Sakata Gintoki. In the end Hijitaka lost against Gintoki. Sougo was eager to try his luck against Gintoki, but Kondo suggested that he would beat Sougo in a duel too.
Memory Loss ArcEdit
Okita Mitsuba ArcEdit
Shinsengumi Crisis ArcEdit
Kondo Isao was targeted by Itou Kamotarou supported by Kiheitai's Kawakami Bansai whose plans was to destroy entire Shinsengumi along with Itou himself.
Monkey Hunter ArcEdit
Character Poll ArcEdit
Kabukicho Stray Cat ArcEdit
Kondo claimed that he was bitten by a stray gorilla, which turned him into one. He helped Katsura and Gintoki, who were turned into cats to save Hoichi from the hands (or paws if you prefer) of Planet Catnip's king.
He was one of the many who disguised themselves Santa Claus, however with only intentions to get closer Otae.
Two years later, he retires as a Shinsengumi Commader and marries Otae.
Host Club ArcEdit
Played the role of Host car.
Kondo and other Shinsengumi members saved Sasaki Tetsunosuke from both Check It Out Gang and Mimawarigumi.
Courtesan of a Nation ArcEdit
Beam Sword Style ArcEdit
- Based on Kondo Isami 近藤勇, commander of the Shinsengumi and close friend to Hijikata Toshizo.
- Kondo Isami was known to own a katana named Kotetsu but rumours say its a fake which ironically in Gintama he breaks.
- Gintoki was the first person to give the nickname or call him Gorilla.
- (To Kiira) "Monkeys we may be, but we're monkey with nerves of steel and hearts of samurai!"