|Japanese Name:||坂田 銀時|
|Romanized Name:||Sakata Gintoki|
|English Name:||Gintoki Sakata|
|Date of Birth:||October 10 / Libra|
|Also known as:|| Gin-san|
|Height:||177 cm (5' 9½")|
|Weight:||72 kg (158 lb)|
|Eye Color:|| Crimson/Gray (manga)|
|Affiliations:|| Old Yorozuya|
4 Devas of Kabuki District
|Occupations:||Founder and President of Yorozuya|
|Episode:|| Episode 1 (special)|
Episode 3 (official)
|Japanese VA:|| Sugita Tomokazu |
Yaguchi Asami (child)
|English VA:||Chris Patton (movie)|
In his childhood days, Gintoki, as an orphan, was found by Yoshida Shouyou in a deserted battlefield. For a while, he, along with Katsura Kotarou and Takasugi Shinsuke, was taught by him before his teacher was arrested and his school was burnt down. In order to rescue their teacher, the three students joined in the last years of the Joui War, and Gintoki became known as the Shiroyasha (lit. White Demon) for his powerful swordplay and demonic white appearance.
After the Joui War, as a result of a trade to save Ikeda Asaemon, Gintoki was arrested and was supposed to be beheaded. However, he was soon released by the 16th Ikeda Yaemon. Some time later, he met Otose while sitting behind her husband's graveyard, where he made a promise with her late husband. Since then, he became a tenant in her house and founded Old Yorozuya, which later consists of Shimura Shinpachi, Kagura, Sadaharu and himself.
Nothing is known about Gintoki's biological parents. As a child, he searched for food from the corpses in the battlefield, to a point of being known as a "corpse-eating demon." On an occasion, while eating a riceball stolen from a corpse in a deserted battlefield, he was found by Yoshida Shouyou, who commented that Gintoki was a "cute demon." Startled, Gintoki drew a sword he had stolen off another dead body in self-defense. However, Shouyou told him that a sword used for self-defense was worth thrown away. He then threw his sword to Gintoki, saying that he could follow him if he wanted to learn how to use a sword. Gintoki agreed and became his student. Along with Katsura Kotarou and Takasugi Shinsuke, he studied about swordplay and the way of using it.
Some years later, during the Kansei Purge, Yoshida Shouyou was arrested, as it was claimed that he (and many others) were creating gatherings that would then create dissenters, and his school was burnt down. Gintoki, restrained, watched helplessly as Shouyou was taken away. Before Shouyou left, he told Gintoki not to worry, and asked him to watch over their friends, and protect everyone. He raised a pinky finger to Gintoki as a promise, and, though Gintoki's hands were restrained behind his back, his finger raised out in reciprocation.
In order to rescue their teacher, Gintoki, Katsura and Takasugi joined the final years of the Joui War. During the war, Gintoki befriended Sakamoto Tatsuma, and gained the title of Shiroyasha for his incredible swordplay and demonic white appearance, being feared by both the Amantos and his comrades. However, once the war was lost, Gintoki disappeared for a period of time. It is noted that, in the present, that very few people know that Gintoki was the Shiroyasha (even the Shinsengumi did not find out until he revealed himself in Episode 24.)
A while after he disappeared, Gintoki heard about an insurgent who had been marked for death while trying to trade his young daughter, Ikeda Asaemon, and traded his head for hers. In the prison, Gintoki promised Asaemon to be beheaded by her in the future. Later, his supposed executioner, the 16th Ikeda Yaemon, released him, believing that Gintoki would be a good man.
Some time afterwards, Gintoki, starved, met Otose while sitting behind her husband's grave. Gintoki ate her husband's manjuu without asking him, saying that dead people did not talk. In return, he promised her husband that he would protect Otose until she dies. After this encounter, Gintoki became a tenant on the second floor of Snack Otose, and founded the Old Yorozuya with Kanemaru, Ikesawa and Furuhashi. Together, their business flourished and they became famous. Nevertheless, for many reasons, Gintoki threw his partners into a river, thus ending up working in the Yorozuya alone.Gintoki first appeared at a café where Shimura Shinpachi was working, when his Chocolate Parfait was spilt by a couple of troublesome Amantos. In a moment of anger, he punched the manager and beat the Amantos with his wooden sword. Though, Shinpachi was the one to take the blame and lost his job as a result.
When Shinpachi's sister, Shimura Tae, learnt of his doings, Gintoki was heavily beaten, and he offered Shinpachi a place in the Yorozuya in compensation. Later, as Tae was forced to work in an illegal nightclub airship to pay the debt of her family, Gintoki and Shinpachi saved her from the debt collectors and destroyed the ship. At that point, Shinpachi decided to work with Gintoki to learn how to be a true samurai.
The two first met Kagura when she was crashed by Gintoki's motorbike. They then saved her from being caught by the gang she worked for, which had been using her Yato strength. After the gang was beaten, she stayed at Gintoki's house (much to his annoyance) to work for money, thus becoming another part of the Yorozuya.
The Yorozuya was asked by a client to find his missing daughter, Kimiko. In the search, they would eventually find their way into a night club filled with Amanto. In the bathroom of the club, Gintoki bumped into Daraku and Kimiko, while the Harusame was trying to get rid of her because of her addiction to a drug called "Tenseikyou." He tried to protect Kimiko from them, but after seeing Kagura and Shinpachi taken away by them, Gintoki was impaled in the shoulder by Daraku. Then, he and Kimiko fell out of the window into an alley below.
Gintoki and Kimiko were then saved by Katsura, who warned the former not to go after the Harusame in such a bad condition. Though, he insisted on saving Shinpachi and Kagura, and Katsura later agreed to go with him. Disguised as "Space Captains," they attacked the Harusame's ship. As Katsura bombed their Tenseikyou storage, Gintoki killed Daraku and carried Shinpachi and Kagura home.
To help the neighbours stop a noisy inventor, Hiraga Gengai, the Yorozuya let Shinpachi sing in front of his house. After a while, one of the inventor's robots came out and they soon managed to get inside his garage. They moved Gengai's inventions to a place that wouldn't disturb the neighbours, but broke them into pieces in the process. Since Gengai needed to prepare the robots for the festival that night, the Yorozuya was forced to help him fix them.
During the festival, Gintoki talked to Gengai about the Joui War, and Gengai asked if Gintoki ever thought of avenging his fallen comrades. Later, while watching the fireworks, he was ambushed by his former Joui comrade Takasugi Shinsuke. Under the threat of a sword at his back, Gintoki was forced to see how Gengai's robots ran wild, attacking the Shogun and the Shinsengumi. Nevertheless, after a moment, he grabbed Takasugi's sword with his bare hands, completely immobilizing it before punching the other.
Gintoki then confronted Gengai and his robot, Saburou, asking him to stop what he was doing. Gengai ordered Saburo to fire towards the Shogun even if Gintoki stood in the way. Gintoki proceeded to attack the robot and destroyed it, noticing for a brief moment that the robot hesitated and lowered its weapon on its own free will.
Okita Sougo offered the Yorozuya a job which involved them tracking down the champion of Rengokukan, Kidoumaru. During the investigation, hey later found out that Kidoumaru had been raising dozens of orphans, and they decided to help him escape from the Tendoshu with his children. However, Kidoumaru was killed by the new Rengokukan champion, Onijishi. Later on, the children asked the Yorozuya to avenge their sensei, giving their toys as payment. Gintoki agreed to help them, despite Hijikata's warning.
Later, Gintoki entered the ring with Kidoumaru's mask, as he challenged Onijshi to a revenge match. As they started to fight, Gintoki's mask broke and he received a heavy blow from Onijishi. Gintoki, however, blocked the attack with his wooden sword to reduce the impact of the blow. He then went with a finish blow against Onijishi, thus defeating him. The Shinsengumi then also showed up to arrest the Rengokukan owners (despite knowing the consequences they may receive for their interferences.)
Memory Loss Arc
In a scooter accident, Gintoki lost his memory. Kagura and Shinpachi tried to restore his memory by visiting many people, almost succeeding a few times but always returning back to the start due to outside interference. During their visit to Otae, she mentioned to Gintoki that he'd better forget his old self and start a new one from his new looks. Meanwhile, Sakamoto Tatsuma crashed his spaceship into the Yorozuya's house, thus wiping the last remnants of proof of Gintoki's existence. After that incident, Gintoki decided to disband Yorozuya and start his life all over again.
He later found work in a Justaway factory, in which Yamazaki Sagaru had infiltrated because of the factory manager's shady background. There, he found both Gintoki and his commander Kondou Isao, who had also lost his memory because of Otae's cooking. Soon, they found out that the Justaways they produced were actually powerful bombs that would be sold to the Jouishishi. The factory manager, Banzou, had decided to destroy Edo after losing his job and his otaku son turned into a Yakuza member. To do so, he planned on using a giant cannon set inside the factory.
Kagura and Shinpachi found their way to factory, thanks to Otose's investigation, and help the Shinsengumi try and defeat Banzou's ambition. As they stood in front of Gintoki to protect him from the cannon, he started to remember everything slowly. Having fully regained his memory, Gintoki grabbed his wooden sword from Shinpachi and destroyed the cannon. After its explosion, he walked away, telling Shinpachi and Kagura that "We are going home."
Train Samurai Arc
After opening a box that was sent for Shinpachi with a cake and a letter inside, Gintoki and Kagura quickly ate the cake, read the letter and recklessly put it back. As Shinpachi read it, they made fun of him.
Later, when Shinpachi is having a date with the girl called Eromes, Kagura, Otae and Gintoki stalked the couple throughout the whole date. Gin tried to calm Otae down about Eromes having cat ears, but he ended up receiving Otae's and Kagura's hits, as they were jealous of her cuteness. Continuing following the couple, they came to Eromes's place and soon realised that Eromes had tricked Shinpachi and stolen his wallet. Gin angrily chased her and threw his sword at her, which was a miss. As he was having a conversation with Eromesu about how she deceived people to steal their wallets, Otae and Kagura ambushed her from the roof.
However, Shinpachi came in and protected her at the last moment. He claimed to forgive her, saying that he didn't have any hard feeling towards her. Though, he knocked her out with his sword, telling that what he said was a lie.
Kagura's father is prepared to drag Kagura home, and after witnessing the collateral damage their fight creates, Gintoki agrees children should return home to family. He encourages Kagura to leave, but when he sees her on the news fighting for her life, he doesn't hesitate to go help. Once things calm down, Gintoki hands over a letter Kagura secretly writes to her father, one of many which remain unsent due to lack of address.
Katsura asks for Gintoki and the others, to help in rescuing Elizabeth from the clutches of an evil magistrate. Enlisting the help of Sachan, the four recieved some hasty ninja training, and formed the Go-ninja in order to storm the magistrate's home. Gintoki himself was the white ninja. After clashing with the magistrate's grunts and fighting their way through the various traps, they make it to the final room where Elizabeth was supposedly being held. Instead, they were confronted by Hattori Zenzou and his Shinobi Five. Gintoki faces off against Zenzou, who still holds a grudge over the Jump affair. Though the group was seemingly out classed by the professional ninja, they managed to defeat them using a combination of fighting, luck, and bad curry. In the end, it turned out that Elizabeth had never been captured, and had instead just left after an argument with Zura.
Infant Strife Arc
When a baby that looks similar to Gintoki turns up on the Yorozuya's doorstep, Gintoki must now clear the misunderstanding that the child is his. It later turns out that there was more than meets the eye, with the child being the grandson of a wealthy old man.
The Yorozuya felt uncomfortable when trying to talk to Elizabeth who is alone without Katsura and Gintoki leaves on a job leaving Shinpachi and Kagura to handle Elizabeth. He is assigned by Murata Tetsuya and Murata Tetsuko to find the evil sword Benizakura. Later that night, he saves Shinpachi and Elizabeth from assassin, Okada Nizou, from the Kiheitai who has the Benizakura sword with him. He enrages Gintoki by making fun of a bit of Katsura's hair while holding it as he claims he killed him. Gintoki refuses to believe and engages him in battle, he badly injures Gintoki, who was unaware of Benizakura's properties and abilities at that moment and impales Gintoki, but is saved by Shinpachi who cuts off Nizou's arm and then he retreats, leaving Gintoki nearly dead. He is later taken care of by Shimaru Tae who threatens to kill him if he moves. He then learns the truth of Benizakura from Tetsuko and he leaves after Tae says she will buy him Jump when she gives him the wrong one and is given a sword that Tetsuko made to stop the Benizakura since his wooden sword was broken. With the help from Tetsuko, Gintoki manages to land on the Kiheitai airship. There, he encounters Nizou once again as Gintoki starts to fight with him. Gintoki manages to beat him at the first state but manages to beat Jizou. During the aftermath, he helps Katsura battle the Amanto and say that the next time they meet, they will kill Shinsuke and both escape on a parachute. When Katsura tells him that the book he had when he was younger was able to help him live and Gintoki tells him he threw it away because he spilled ramen on it.
A customer comes from a wayward town and requests the Yorozuya to find her son. They find out that the son had undergone plastic surgery changing his features. They suspect that the man is now working in a male host bar and join after discovering it is being harrassed by the Yakuza. After the Yakuza come to collect payment and fail, the mother who came to look for her son was swept away when the Yakuza was leaving to be seen later at the Yakuza's base helping a pet of theirs give birth. They capture her and threaten the son to pay back the money. He goes with all the earnings to gain back his mother but the Yorozuya enter causing havoc, saving the mother and impeding the son from losing his money. The mother leaves without her son, but she is proud of him nonetheless.
Yagyu ArcGintoki helps Shinpachi on his try to get back Otae from Kyubei, who claimed Otae to be his(her) bride from the Yagyu family. They all enter a compettion where they they put plates attach to themselves as the teams have to take out each others plates to win. Gintoki ends up in a bathroom as he had got a stomachache for have eating something bad earlier. he realise at that point he was together arrives with Kondo and Yagyuu Binbokusai who were in the next toilets to each other. At that point, they all realise that there is no toilet paper left for any of them and gets in a serious crisis. Not long after Toujou Ayumu arrives also as he plans to take Gintoki and Kondo down while they were defensless in the toilets. Unfortunately Ayumu gets a stomachache also for have eating bad eggs and joins they others in a toilet. As all four sits down still on their toilets without toilet paper they all try to find alternatives for papers. Kondo uses a bit of sand paper that Binbokusai gave away for all while Ayumu seem to do the same thing. Gintoki is left with Binbokusai as Gintoki uses money bill to use instead of toilet paper and Binbokusai uses a certain important scroll. After that, they both leaves the bathroom and starts their fight. Gintoki gets easily pulled around by Binkokusai with his attacks as Gintoki hardly manage to him because if his small size. Later on, Gintoki meets up with Shinpachi as they both them up againts Yagyuu Kyuubei and Binkokusai to break their plates. At firts they get easily beat up but Gintoki manage to manuever Kyuubei and manage to break her plate in midair. At that point though Binkokusai graps onto Gintoki and hit him to a statue which in result break his plate. But at the same time, Shinpachi comes with a surprise attack againts Binkokusai and manage to break his plate in which resulting them winning the game.
Later on, Gintoki and his friends gets hired by Kondo to try to break down the wedding ceremony in which he was going to forcefully go to with Princess Bubbles. At the ceremony though Gintoki and his friends does not take the job seriously and complains about that there is only bananas as wedding food. However thanks to Shimura Tae the ceremony gets interupted and the marriage somehow got off.
Okita Mitsuba Arc
Gintoki was "bribed" by Okita Sougo to pretend to be his best friend for the day. Even though it was supposed to be all a setup to assure Sougo's sister, Mitsuba, Gintoki admitted the friendship to Mitsuba at the end of the day.
When Mitsuba's health conditions worsened, Gintoki visited her at the hospital with her favourite spicy snacks.
Before Sougo headed off the battlefield, Gintoki, while pretending to be sleeping, listened to Sougo's most inner thoughts. He then headed off to the battlefield together with Sougo.
Hardboiled Detective Arc
Follow a "hard boiled" detective in his latest case.
Tasked with buying the Owees by their clients, Gintoki and the Yorozuya queued up for the purchase of Owee. The situation later turned into a battle of the Yorozuya against the Shinsegumi. Gintoki, together with Kagura, took part in the final round of battle, Dragon Hunter lll, where each team will have to fight to defeat the bandits in the caves.
Abandoned by their teammates right at the start, Gintoki and Hijikata teamed up to make their way to the caves where they eventually was able to restore their health back to full. Using the village leader as their weapons, Gintoki and Hijikata started their fight with the bandits. However it became a hassle when Okita arrives from the casnio and Kagura at a much higher level and choas happens.
Hasegawa Prosecution Arc
When Hasegawa was charged with sexual harassment, Gintoki turned up last minute as his lawyer. Hasegawa remarked that Gintoki stood a chance since no one had ever won an argument against him.
Shinsengumi Crisis Arc
Gintoki and the Yorozuya were asked by Hijikata to protect the Shinsegumi from Isao as he was unable to do so when the demonic sword's power started eating into his personality and turning him into Tosshi. Gintoki and his friends decides to help him as they steal a shinsengumi police car. Later on, while dressed in Shinsegumi uniforms, the Yorozuya headed off to the train and into the battlefield to save Kondou that was the target of the internal strife. There, Gintoki encounters Kawakami Bansai as he reveals Kiheitais plans to Gintoki about destroying the Shinsengumi. While the train that Kondo, Hijikata and the others were on explodes at a bridge and hangs to the edge Gintoki starts to fight with Bansai. At one point, Bansai stops Gintoki's movements with his instrument strings but Gintoki manage to break out of them in a painful way. When Isao protected Kondo and Hijikata from the shots from a Kiheitai helicopter Gintoki push Bansai into the helicopter in which causing it to lose balance. On the helicopter, Bansai takes out his hidden sword and pierces Gintoki's left shoulder as he argues to Gintoki that their country is rotten as Gintoki has lost his way of life. At that point, Gintoki had manage to use Bansai's own strings to tie Bansai and the helicopter together as he jumps down to the ground. Gintoki tells Bansai to leave Takasugi a message and says that what he tried to protect in the Joui Wars has not changed. Gintoki then pulls his wooden sword which was attached with strings to the helicopter as he pulls the helicopter down with all his strengh and destroys it . Bansai manage to survive somehow as he returns to Takasugi for a summary of the mission.
Guardian Dog Arc
Monkey Hunter Arc
Ghost Ryokan Arc
Yoshiwara in Flames Arc
Gintoki meets Seita晴太 who was trying to steal his wallet but got caught instead (even though Gintoki's wallet was empty to begin with). At Snack Otose Seita explains his situation about his desperate need for money to be able to meet the courtesan Hinowa of the underground city Yoshiwara. Gintoki mistake at first that Setia wants to meet her because of sexual desire but then he tells that he thinks that Hinowa is his lost mother. When everyone realize his desperate need for money to meet his mother, Otose offers him to work at the bar to be able to help at bit of his problem.
After Seita have been working at the snack bar for a while, Gintoki went to Yoshiwara and at a bar he overhears the men who were given money by Seita for him to able to afford to meet Hinowa one day. The men had however spent Seita's collecting money for sake instead. Gintoki knocks them down and takes their wallets to repay for their crime. However because of his ruckus, Gintoki suddenly gets attacked by a Hyakka solier who was disguised as a bar waitress. Gintoki flees as he meets up with Shinpachi, Kagura and Seita who had Haykka on their tail also. Gintoki then meets Tsukuyo as he protects Setia from her kunais by repelling them. Gintoki however got hit by one right in his forehead and tries to desperately act nonchalant about it. By making things worse, he gets noticed that one of the kunai he repelled got hit by Seita and as in result made Gintoki even more deperate but still tries to desperately act nochalant. Tsukuyo then knocks down Gintoki and all others with a special kunai in which made them all fall unconscious.
Later on they all ended up in some pipe walls as Tsukuyo had faked their death to let them escape from Yoshiwara She was asked by Hinowa to let Seita escape as she does not want him to get hurt by getting near her. Suddenly the group gets interfered by the Yatos Kamui, Abuto and Ungyou from the Harusame pirates who plans to capture Seita do bring him to Housen. Gintoki and the others gets easily tricked as the Yatos success capturing Seita and then destroy the pipe walls in which resulting the group loosing their footing. Thanks to Tsukuyo's help Gintoki and the group managed to survive the fall in one piece. Gintoki and the others then decide to go rescue Seita and then try at the same time get the sun back over Yoshiwara. Gintoki and his friends disguise themselves in Yoshiwara female clothing as they manage together with Tsukuyo infilitrate the Housen castle. However, once inside they got spotted right away by the Hyakka soldiers. Tsukuyo tells Gintoki and his friends to move on ahead as she will hold the Hyakka soldiers off for them. Gintoki then ask Tsukuyo to give him her blowing pipe as a promise that they will all survive and returns it once they fight is over.
As the proceed, the group encouter Abuto who plans to clean up the infilitrators. Shinpachi and Kagura offers to fight him while Gintoki will run ahead of them. Later on, Gintoki finally encounters Housen who had meet up with Seita who had finally reuinte with his mother even though it was revealed that she was not his real mother. Housen ask him what the reason is to be here and wonders if he wants to have a drink with women at his Yoshiwara. Gintoki answers that does not want a drink from a women who is crying as he notes Hinowa's tears and wants instead a drink from a smiling women without sadness.Gintoki and Housen then starts their battle againts each other as Housen brings out his giant fightning umbrella and Gintoki had prepared a samurai sword. Gintoki got easily pushed back by Housen's first strike and after a some blows he gets smashed into the wall. Housen quickly jumps forth and grap his head into the wall. Housen tells Gintoki that the samurais has lost their place in life and that their world and women have already fall into the Amanto's hands including his own. He tells him that the samurai had already lost their battle againts the Amanto but Gintoki however laughs at his word and says that he is still fightning for the world. Gintoki then pierces Tsukuyo's blowing pipe into Housen's right eye making him feel a great pain. Under that time, Gintoki yells at Seita to run away with his mother. Seita though refuses as he does not want to leave behind his friends. Gintoki answered that he should do it for his sake as he does not want to fail to protect anything again. Gintoki suddenly gets hit again by Housen in which result leaving him to close death. After a short while, Tsukuyo shows up at the place together with several Hyakka soldiers as they all plan to take down Housen together. Tsukuyo sarcastically makes fun of Gintoki when she sees his condition but when she throughs a kunai at him to try to make him wakes up from his senses Gintok catch it with his fingers. Gintoki then returns back to the battle as he joins forces with Tsukuyo and the Hyakkas. The battle gets pretty tight as Gintoki manage to get some big hits at Housen as the Hyakka backs him up by throughing many kunais at him. Housen however easily defeat a lots of Hyakkas as Gintoki gets more injured from his attacks. At one point with the help from Tsukuyo Gintoki strikes a big hit with his wooden sword againts Housen and attack several times after without Housen have time to strike back. Gintoki pulls Housen back againts the walls and with help from the Hyakka they do a finish attack several kunais. Believing that Housen is defeated everyone gets happy relieved. However, Housen then throughs back some kunais in which goes towards Tsukuyo. Gintoki then pulls away Tsukuyo and takes the hits from the kunai himself instead. a criticial injured Housen rise back from the wall and claims that no matter how many candles of light they collect they cannot compare to the sun. Gintoki however decline and says that with enough light they can melt the chains of Yoshiwara. At that point, the hatches to the underground starts to opened thanks to Seita, Shinpachi and Kagura who had planned to bring the sun down over the town. When Housen realise that they sun starts to shine into the city, Gintoki then moves in and dealt the final blow on Hosen that sent him straight through the wall of his mansion and out into the sunlight. As Hosen was a yato who hadn't seen sunlight for many years, as stated by Hinowa in Episode 144, his body immediately reacted to the sun and he dried up, dying in Hinowa's lap, who had been carried to him by two rebelling members of the Hyakka, as seen in Episode 145. She had always wanted to show him the sun, and cried as she said that he was just a foolish old man who wanted to sleep under the sun, yet he built that foolish city (Yoshiwara), and turned everyone against him.
Hosen was buried at an unbearably hot place, as stated by Umibouzu in Episode 146. He was buried on a cliff with his umbrella used as a gravestone. Gintoki, who was there with Umibouzu, said that the prostitutes wanted Hosen to sunbathe in the afterlife. Umibouzu then told Gintoki that he didn't expect him to take down Hosen. However, Gintoki quickly disapproved that he did it himself, and said he never would have made it alone and that they just ganged up on him. Umibouzu continued that Kamui thought otherwise. Kamui had been put in charge of Yoshiwara, as he took credit for killing Hosen, telling the Harusame that it was a result of their investigation. But he hadn't sent anybody there, and had left the place completely unattended. According to Umibouzu, this was because Kamui had no interest in Yoshiwara. His only interest was in Gintoki, and he obtained Yoshiwara so that no one would lay a hand on them. Umibouzu then stated that Gintoki may have saved Yoshiwara, but he himself, would be killed.
Yorozuya Barbers Arc
Gintoki, Kagura, and Shinpachi was left by the owner of the Barber Shop to buy some manga, without experiences, the Yorozuya find ways to do their duties as Yorozuya Barbers.
Tama Quest Arc
Character Poll Arc
Kabukicho Stray Cat Arc
The Yorozuya goes on a hunt to lure and capture the Kabukichou Boss Cat Houichi ホウイチ, After Gintoki urinated on the grave of the stray cat he then passed out and woke up that he has turned into a white cat, at first he didn't notice that he transformed into a cat but after he ask for water from the talking stray cats he then sees his reflection of himself on the puddle that he has transformed into a cat, he then panics and ask himself why he turned into a cat.
Kabukicho Four Devas Arc
Gintoki drank himself into a stupor during a celebration. Consequently, he didn't remember the events that occured during that party in the next morning and woke up in bed with Otose, realizing that he must have had sex with her. As he struggled to piece together what happened in the night before, he learned that he apparently did not just have sex with Otose, but also with Shimura Tae, Sarutobi Ayame, Yagyuu Kyuubei, Tsukuyo and Hasegawa Taizou. With the help of Hattori Zenzou, Gintoki struggled to lose their affections by appearing committed to each one of them, while trying to the women to find out that she slept with all of them. Each plan of his backfires until the women figure out that Gintoki lied to all of them and beat him up. As Gintoki felt guilty for betraying all of them, he vowed to never drink alcohol ever again. Right after that, Zenzou revealed that the entire thing was just one big prank and that every woman he supposedly slept with was in on it. When Gintoki then learned that Hasegawa was not in on the prank and that it's possible that he truly slept with Hasegawa, he instantly started drinking again.
A brothel had hired Yorozuya to make a certain customer in jailor outfit to pay his debts. Gintoki found out the man was actually a real jailor and was put in jail for falsified accusations.
Love Choriss Arc
In order to save Shinpachi and bring him back to reality, Gintoki started playing the Love Choriss game but was stuck with the most unpopular character of the game, Shiramizu Pinko. Pinko's son died when Gintoki shut the game with force. After the event he was haunted by Pinko and her son's visions even in real world even though other people excluding the fellow Choriss gamers couldn't see.
During the Love Choriss event, when forced into a corner, Gintoki, with his imagination, was able to remodel Pinko into his dream girl, successfully allowing him to face off Shinpachi in the final round. In the end, he was the one who fell deepest in the game world which woke the others back to reality.
Host Club Arc
After a "misunderstanding" between police forces, Shinsengumi and the new Mimawarigumi, almost-arrested Gintoki is offered a job by Mimawarigumi chief Sasaki Isaburo. He was to infiltrate Check It Out Gang, which held connections to Jouishishi. But when the gang kidnap and hold hostage a younger half-brother to Sasaki and assisstant to Hijikata Toshirou, Gintoki only sticks around until Sasaki makes it clear his job is over. After witnessing both black and white police uniforms fighting each other, Gintoki declares Check It Out Gang is with neither side but his own, Shiroyasha! More fighting ensues until the gang has been apprehended and everyone's (mostly) ok. Gin's arrested later by Hijikata for announcing his famous Jouishishi title and possibly attempted murder, but Sasaki Tetsunosuke vouched for his freedom and no charges were pursued.
After returning to his home from a vacation, he had found out that someone named Sakata Kintoki had usurped his place as a protagonist of the show. No one knew him and he almost gave up until Tama and Sadaharu came to aid him in his task. They formed Yorozuya Sepia in order to recover everyone's memories of him. Tama would go under alias of Matagura (Kagura's temporary replacement) and Sadaharu would be Sachiharu (Shinpachi's replacement).They tried a few attempts to bring back everyone's memories of him but fails. During one of these attempts, he manages to save Sarutobi Ayame from trying to fall down from a building(who in reality wanted to have more time with Kintoki) and is helped by Kagura and Shinpachi and the others slowly remember until he is accused of attacking Tama. Gintoki is able to defeat Kintoki after an unexpected fight(even after going through Mantama, another show that kind of Kintoki as the protagonist).
Courtesan of a Nation Arc
Tsukuyo and Hinowa tells him about Suzuran and her beauty that affected Yoshiwara. Hearing this he was invited by Suzuran herself thinking that he would have a chance to sleep with her but her appearance is not what she think she is. Learing that she had made a promise with one of her clients, he, Tsukuyo, Shinpachi and Kagura helps her find her clients. He finds out that her client is the former Shougun.
Because her former client is the Shougun, Gintoki says it's impossible to enter the castle to meet the Shougun. But Kagura says its not impossible to enter the castle. He, Shinpachi and Tsukuyo are shocked to see how Kagura is close to Soyo. Entering inside the castle, he meets Isaburo and Nobume for their duty to protect the Shougunate castle. To get the former Shougun attention without noticing, Tsukuyo suggests that they should play 'Kick the Can'. Gintoki resisted but had no choice but to kick the can at the former Shougun's room, but ends up injuring the current Shougun.Hearing that Tokugawa Sada Sada is entering the room to speak with Shige Shige, both Gintoki and Nobume panicked and started to run away but is stopped by Tsukuyo. With no choice Tsukuyo and Nobume pretends to be prostitude while Gintoki tries to act like Shige Shige. When Tsukuyo tells Sada Sada about Suzuran, the Naraku guards comes and arrests and framed them for killing the high Bafuku. While in jail, Soyo comes and tells them a bed time story based on the actual promise between Suzuran and Maizou. Learing that Maizou is the man that made a promise to
Suzuran, the Shinsengumi lets them out and save Maizou.
Reaching to Sada Sada place, Maizou's body is thrown and an enraged Gintoki tries to kill Sada Sada but is blocked by an masked enemy.
Battling against the enemy, Gintoki gets himself hit by poison needles and is unable to move. When he relized that the enemy is Oboro, he seems to be shocked to meet him again. Hearing about Yoshida Shouyou's crime, Gintoki is boiled with rage and tries to kill Oboro. Overpowered and poisoned by him, Gintoki lays defeated until both Shinsengumi and Mimawarigumi arrived. Sasaki Isaburo and Mimawarigumi members attack the remaining Naraku members as Gintoki remains wounded and unable to fight. After some banter between the two, Sasaki shoots Gintoki in the chest claiming he is useless trash now.
Tsukuyo is sent into a rage after seeing Gintoki get shot. She runs over to him but neglects a Naraku member sneaking up behind her and attacking. Suddenly Gintoki's wooden sword is plunged through the Naraku members stomach, killing him. It turns out that Sasaki Shot him with a antidote to the poison that helps Gintoki recover. Gintoki leaves after Oboro and Tokugawa Sada Sada slashing two more naraku members along the way. Before he leaves Sasaki asks Gintoki what he wants, Gintoki replies that he wants "Sada Sada's Head", Sasaki says it could be expensive but Gintoki replies that his head is worth nothing, Sasaki covers Gintoki's escape and orders all his Mimawarigumi members to cover "That ordinary man" and to allow absolutly no one upstairs. Gintoki, Tsukuyo, and Nobume all leave together after Oboro and Tokugawa Sada Sada.
Beam Sword Style Arc
Kagura's Boyfriend Arc
Patriot Reunion Party Arc
Feigned Illness Arc
Grim Reaper Arc
Soul Switch Arc
Love Potion Arc
Shogun Assassination Arc
Gintoki has a natural perm, which causes him no end of distress. His silvery-blue hair is in a perpetually messy state, which is sometimes exaggerated into a frizzy afro when Gintoki is injured. He has indeterminate grey/green/blue (in the manga) or bordeaux-colored (in the anime) "dead fish eyes" (comparison courtesy of Hijikata Toushirou), which are called such because they are nearly always half-lidded.
His standard outfit consists of a white yukata with a blue swirl pattern on the bottom and ends of the sleeves, worn so that his arm only goes through the left sleeve, and the right half droops down over his obi. Over this, he wears a black belt buckled so that there is leftover dangling from the buckle, from which his bokutō Lake Toya hangs. Underneath, he wears a black, red-lined shirt with a popped collar and black pants. He also wears knee-high black boots, buckled at the top and above his foot, which appear to add about half an inch to his height. It is shown that he has a closet full of duplicates of this outfit, so whenever it gets destroyed, he can appear in the next episode or chapter with a new one.
All in all, his outfit suggests an air of laziness, and may be a reflection of Gintoki's own personal sense of style, though it is revealed that his usual attire is actually the school jersey for the Zunborans.
During the winter, he will sometimes wear a haori, thicker kimonos, or more layers, of varying colors, as well as scarves.
As with most Gintama characters, his outfit and appearance change regularly for the sake of gags.
|Sakata Gintoki's gallery|
Gintoki has an incredibly funny side. This can be seen by the way he "mistakenly" insinuated Hinowa's statement (in the 'Courtesan of a Nation Arc') to mean that he, Tsukuyo, Hinowa and Suzuran could have a foursome. His normal use of dirty talk, scatological innuendos, and ability to find ladies (Dominatrices in the Love Choriss Arc) in unstrategic places also seem to suggest this.
Gintoki's past continues to influence who he is and how he acts. He admitted to Umibozu in episode 42 that he believes having a loving family is all someone really needs in life, due to his lack of a family. He is very respectful of the memory of his teacher Yoshida Shouyou due to his kind actions (the death of his teacher is probably one of the main reasons he joined the Joui war). It is this respect for his teacher that caused him to be angered when Jiraia(Jiraia) called himself Tsukuyo's teacher and yet harmed and tortured her.
His inability to protect many of his friends in the Joui war still haunts him, even feeling regret of executing his own teacher when he was forced by Tendosho (under order of Sada Sada) in front of Takasugi and Katsura, and as a result, he is very protective of his current friends. He told Kawakami Bansai in the Shinsengumi Mutiny Arc the only reason he fought in the Joui war was to protect his friends, not for his country or the samurai way.
He acts like a coward most of the time, will attempt to leave behind his friends if his life is in danger, but this only occurs in the more comical stories, as he is willing to risk his life for anyone, and is shown to be extremely caring towards his friends. Gintoki has shown to be protective of them, to the point of going as far as stabbing and killing Naraku members, terrorists and amantos when he tried to attack them. He is extremely scared of ghosts, but is very sensitive to their presence and many times will try to deny their existence.
He has many childish personality traits despite his age, calling himself a child in a man's body. One such trait is his love of sweets to the point of nearly developing diabetes. He is mostly seen eating or drinking something sweet, with strawberry milk being his favorite.
He loves alcohol but his tolerance for sake that is not high. His love of alcohol has made him so troublesome that some female characters: Otose, Otae, Kyuubei, Sarutobi Ayame and Tsukuyo decided to teach him a lesson by playing a prank on him along with Zenzou during the Scandal arc.
He loves to eat meat and will go to great lengths to acquire the latest Jump issues, rivaling that of Hattori Zenzou who is similarly spirited. He also (just like Hijikata) has a hatred of the dentist and scared of ghost, something he is ashamed of due to his age.
Gintoki is very lazy, and is often shown reading Jump and lying around the Yorozuya. Due to his poverty, he is always behind on his rent and often runs away when Otose, his landlady, comes to collect the rent. He attempts to save money whenever he can, but he also loves to play Pachinko and other gambling games, resulting in him spending all his money. Even though he's lazy most of the time, Gintoki is quite a dedicated worker and always puts his mind on his jobs.
Gintoki seems to dislike his curly perm hair. To elaborate further, in Episode 5 he says his lack of girlfriends is due to his 'natural perm' hair. Though several female characters have shown an interest in Gintoki, such as Shimura Tae, Sarutobi Ayame, Tsukuyo and on some occasions Yagyuu Kyuubei, he usually does not return their affections because of their physical abuse toward him. He even assaults Ayame who tends to stalk him, but he has a huge crush on the weather girl, Ketsuno Ana and once stated he wished to marry her (possibly because of the kind personality he sees on TV). It might be possible that he shows a lot of interest in any women that has a nice body and who does not have an angry personality, is a stalker or physically attacks him. This was proven in some episodes and during the pool arc, when he saw a woman with binoculars he got super excited, until he found out was Tsukuyo and lost all interest commenting that she is a drunk terminator.
Despite his appearance and initial behavior, Gintoki has a great amount of pride for the old bushido code. He takes it upon himself to rescue or avenge not only his comrades and friends but also people he barely knows.
According to Tama, Gintoki is bit of a sadist who shares the same personality as Sougo.
Despite all these traits (or perhap due to these traits) Gintoki possess immense charisma and is able to attract anyone, he always knows what to say to make anyone feel more comfortable and can make anyone laugh (even in the most inappropriate times) and feel alive. This ability has given him very loyal allies and friends from all sorts of people even former enimes, even leading to him getting the admiration and affection of a lot of women. As Hinowa pointed out he was able to affect Tsukuyo, and as has even made friends with the Shogun.
Strength & Abilities
Gintoki is a highly skilled samurai. His current combat skills were enough to make the blood-thirsty Yato Kamui staking his claim on him as his future prey in Episode 146. Umibouzu stated himself that Gintoki "carries himself with a certain grace" and that he is "like a master of the sword" in Episode 200. There were times when Gintoki shows his rage when facing enemies with immense strength towards Jiraia, Doromizu Jirochou and Oboro. His greatest strength seems to be his immense stamina and endurance, to the point where he has been called immortal by other characters. He could be the strongest swordsman so far presented in the series.
In his childhood, he was under the tutelage of Yoshida Shouyou along with Katsura Kotarou and Takasugi Shinsuke, where he learned how to become a decent samurai. As every student who was taught by Shouyou and survived, Gintoki became infamous because of his tremendous skills with the sword.
Yagyuu Binbokusai conceded that Gintoki's sword style may well be his own, and not affiliated to any school.
His weapon of choice is usually a bokutou , a wooden katana, engraved with the word Touyako meaning Lake Toya on the handle, carried by his waist. As Gintoki hates killing and mostly tries to avoid killing people, he barely uses a real sword to avoid vital damages. Therefore he is willing to adapt his bushido to other people or the current times in order to avoid needless loss of lives, as explained to Katsura in Episode 5. This is the most probable reason for his carrying a wooden sword and not a real version. His bokutou was made from a ten thousand year old tree from another planet, claiming to have the ability to break even the meteorite. Whether it is true is still unknown, but it may be Gintoki's overall strength and skill that gives him those abilities. In the manga, it is shown that Gintoki always bought a new bokutou from the TV Commercial every time his current one is broken.
- His bokutou has broken in 7 occasions:
- He cheated by letting Kondou use it, who did not know that he had sabotaged him by breaking it.
- When Kagura was angry after trying to defend it from an Amanto Gankeimaru, only to discover that he bought it by phone.
- In his second battle against Okada Nizou after he obtained the Benizakura.
- In his first battle against Doromizu Jirochou.
- Trying to encounter the shock wave when he was trying to destroy Kintoki.
- His last showdown against Oboro.
- His bokuto was eaten during his fight with Okita Sougo who was possessed by the excalibur sword Maganagi
The other time he used a Katana and Jutte was when he borrowed from Terada Tatsugorou memento in the Devas of Kabuki District arc, Gintoki vowed that he would protect everything that was important to him.
In fellow Shonen Jump anime Bleach, Gintoki was reading the manga in an omake wishing that he could use Getsuga Tensho, Bleach's Ichigo Kurosaki's signature attack in DVD version of Episode 3. But when there was an opportunity to learn a secret signature move from the spirit of Touyako, Gintoki was too lazy and unmotivated to learn.
Immense Strength : Has shown on several occasions unrealistic strength. During a fight with Hosen, implied as one the strongest characters in the series, Gintoki managed to injure Hosen; Kamui would go as far as to say that Gintoki defeated Hosen. He was also able to tear Bansai's strings, which were as solid as steel and designed to rip people's limbs off. Gintoki's muscles were hard enough to avoid losing a single limb before he finally tore the strings.
Tremendous Endurance : Gintoki's ability to stay alive, regardless of how severe the injury is, during situations where he is shot by a gun, beaten to a pulp by Hosen, left to die by Jirochou, show his uncanny endurance. Though his endurance has a limit his body can't overcome, like when his pressure points were attacked with poison needles, physical pain barely stops him from making use of his combat skills to the full.
Expert Sword-Wielding : Gintoki's ability to use his wooden sword impressed Yagyuu Binbokusai, the grand patriarch of the Yagyuu.
Spiritual Affinity: Gintoki can see and communicate with spirits, as shown in the Ghost Ryokan Arc.
- Yoshida Shouyou: Shouyou was probably the most important person in Gintoki's life, something that is further emphasized by Katsura who mentions that out of the three of them (Katsura, Takasugi and Gintoki) he should be the one to most hate the world. Shouyou took Gintoki away from the corpses of the battlefield and offered him a life as a student and taught him everything. Gintoki deeply respects him, to the extend that he gets furious if someone dirties the name of being a master. The death of Shouyou was devastating to him and until the present haunts him as he is the very one to execute him as he was given an ultimatum of either choosing his comrades or saving him. Remembering his promise to Shouyou to protect everyone, Gintoki and him shared one last smile with each other with Shouyou even thanking Gintoki, before he decapitates him. Gintoki treasures deeply the lessons Shouyou taught him despite the fact that he no longer has the things Shouyou gave him such as Shouyou's sword and the textbook, which he claims to have thrown away when he stained it with curry. This possibly means that he does not need material items to remember Shouyou and his lessons. One of the things Gintoki honors the most with his sensei is the promise they made the last time they saw each other. Although he controls himself, Gintoki has showed a dark side in which he wants to slay those who were related to the death of his beloved teacher, which is also showed by Takasugi and Katsura at the beginning of the series. During a Joui war when he, Katsura and Takasugi were captured by Tendosho, who was under order of Sada Sada, Gintoki was forced to execute his beloved teacher without any choice in front of Takasugi and Katsura. After Shige Shige's death during Nobu Nobu's reign whereas Matsudaira and Kondo are about to be executed, Gintoki reminds Kondo's fate becomes similar to his late-master's fate.
Friends & Allies
- Kagura: Gintoki cares about Kagura, especially when she's in danger or not in a good condition. (He saved her in episode 42, when Kagura was attacked by an alien, despite the fact that he abandoned her awhile ago; he even tried to skip his job to take Kagura to the hospital in episode 91). When she was feeling down because she didn't feel that her umbrella was as pretty as other girls, he ended up buying her a cute one (episode 111). Their relationship seems to be a "father/daughter" relation, as she greatly admires him and has even picked up several of Gintoki's bad habits, such as picking her nose. They are usually partners in crime and join together in many different gags.
- Shimura Shinpachi: Gintoki met Shinpachi at a restaurant where he had ordered a Chocolate Parfait when a fight broke out between Gintoki and some Amantos because they were harassing Shinpachi and accidentally spilled his Parfait. Since then, Shinpachi has been with Gintoki. Gintoki and Shinpachi share a close, brotherly relationship, thought both are not willing to admit it (During the battle with Obi Hajime, both men state that neither see each other as brothers). Gintoki's bond with Shinpachi can be seen when he went as far as to get on his knees and beg for the Shinsengumi's collaboration to keep Shinpachi safe during the Beam Sword Arc. After the battle in the Harusame Arc, Gintoki finds an exausted Kagura and Shinpachi who claim are too tired to walk home. Gintoki retorts on that, saying that he should be the most tired and leaves them be, proceeding to walk off. However, he returns seconds later and carries them home. For a man who often doesn't show his soft side, he can not help but care immensly for both Shinpachi and Kagura.
- Otose: Otose is Gintoki's landlady. They both met in a graveyard where Otose was visiting her husband's grave. There, she gave food to a hungry and weak Gintoki, and he vowed to protect her in her husband's place to show his gratitude. Although they argue about paying rent, they both care about each other. When Otose was cut by Doromizu Jirochou, Gintoki went into a rage against Jirochou showing how much he cares about her.
- Katsura Kotarou: Katsura has been Gintoki's friend ever since they were very little. They usually fight along side each other, so they can be considered very close friends. Gintoki always calls Katsura by the nickname "Zura", which literally means "wig", even though Katsura prefers his real name. They bicker with each other a lot and Gintoki often shows his annoyance and wants to get away when Katsura is acting stupid (which is very often). He has extreme faith in Katsura's strength, and was extremely angry when Nizou stated that he killed Katsura thinking it was impossible that Nizou killed him. Although Katsura did witnesses Gintoki being forced to execute their teacher by Tendosho (under Sada Sada's order) during their captures in Joui war, Katsura may have forgive him when he feels regret on killing Shouyou with his own hand as part of their teacher's sacrifice to save Katsura and his allies, alive.
- Sakamoto Tatsuma: Both of them fought in Joui War but Sakamoto has a close friendship with him even though he keeps calling him Kintoki. He admits that Sakamoto is extremely strong, but states that his head is empty. When Sakamoto retired from the war, he offered Gintoki to come along with him to explore space but Gintoki declined. Although Katsura witnesses Gintoki being forced into killing their teachers during their captures in Joui war, he still forgives Gintoki when the Shiroyasha seems regretfully killing his own teacher to save him and Takasugi's life.
- Kondou Isao: Gintoki has a lot of respect for Kondou after their first duel, and most of all the same desire to changed Edo better and peacefully, like Shige Shige was. Although he wrote down a new Regulation that Yorozuya is to be hated, Kondo actually respects Gintoki as Yamazaki stated in episode 32. It is noted that it was Gintoki himself who coins the latter the nickname "Gorilla" judging by his appearance. After Shige Shige's death and during Nobu Nobu's reign wheras he and Matsudaira are about to be executed, Gintoki reminds his fate is the same as his late-teacher's fate, such as passed on their code of honors and will of light to watch over Edo to him, his old Joui allies, and Hijikata and his fellow former Shinsengumi, as the era needs them.
- Hijikata Toushirou: They both have similar personalities and are usually seen arguing or making comments about the other (mostly Gintoki), resulting in the two frequently clashing as rivals. They share the same traits and fears like being terrified of ghosts and dentists, but they can reach an unbelievable synchronization when fighting together. With Kondou is about to be beheaded along with Matsudaira during Nobu Nobu's reign and after Shige Shige's death, he did eventually ended up like what happen to Gintoki before and the day of Joui war starts, having the person who'd changed their lives better after they tell them keep the honor that has been taught by them carried on, is about to be executed.
- Okita Sougo: Gintoki never can spell his name correctly from Soichiro, Soda, even Sofa. Okita seems to get along rather well with Gintoki. After a rough beginning, the two find common grounds in their love of torturing and humiliating Hijikata. After witnessing the fight between Gintoki and Hijikata, Okita said he would love to clash swords with Gintoki one day. Although a hit from Hijikata would often result in a violent retribution from Okita, he doesn't seem to have a problem with taking a lecture or a knock on the head from Gintoki. When his sister came to visit, Okita bribed Gintoki (with three chocolate parfaits) to pretend to be his best friend. Later when Okita left, Gintoki acknowledges the friendship to Mitsuba. In the Yagyuu Arc, Shinpachi referred to them as the "Sadist Duo".
- Hasegawa Taizou: He also oftens joins Hasegawa in the pachinko parlor or for horse-betting. They seem to be good friends doing everything they can to get money together.
- Hattori Zenzou: He is the first ninja in the series with an apparently equal obsessive devotion to JUMP magazine as Gintoki.
- Catherine: Although Gintoki and Catherine constantly argue, Gintoki can still sympathize with her. He saved her when she was about to be killed by her former organization and when she was robbed by the man she loved. Although he did all these things mainly to protect what's dear to Otose, he still seemed to have the will to help Catherine out when she was in danger.
- Tsukuyo: Even though Tsukuyo and Gintoki started off as enemies, Tsukuyo was one of the few females that did not give Gintoki a bad impression at first sight, compared to other females(ex. Otae and Sachan). In fact when Gintoki failed to strike all the kunai from Tsukuyos attack, she acted like Gintoki struct down all her kunai which added to Gins impression of her. During the Yoshiwara Arc, trust and friendship seemed to develop very quickly as when Gintoki asked Tsukuyo for her pipe, Tsukuyo tells Gin it may be the last she gets to smoke but she hands it over when Gin demanded her to, Gin then stated that she'd better make sure she comes back to smoke it. The conclusion of the Yoshiwara Arc brought them closer together as Tsukuyo tends to smile a lot more when she is with Gintoki. During the Red Spider Arc Tsukuyo admits to Gintoki that her resolve to cast aside her womanhood weakens when she is around him.
During the Red Spider Arc Tsukuyo admits to Gintoki that her resolve to cast aside her womanhood weakens when she is around him. However when Gintoki accidentally gropes her breasts, she would do a German suplex on him. The conclusion of the Red Spider Arc ended with Tsukuyo asking Gin about her scars, and Gin said that there was nothing wrong with her face, and commented that she has a pretty face with a clean soul. When she is intoxicated, she thrashes Gintoki to the point where he has become rather afraid of her in that state. It was also pointed out by Hinowa and Seita, by writing on a New Year's Card that Tsukuyo was sad and down when she heard that he got married to Sarutobi, but Tsukuyo crossed out what they wrote about her and replaced it by wishing them happiness. Tsukuyo has her indirect kiss with Gintoki when she drunk and put the bottle of sake she drinks into Gintoki's mouth . During the Pool Arc, Gin complimented that she had huge jugs when seeing Tsukuyo in a swimsuit, though when Gin saw her face he then called her the "drunk terminator."
Interestingly in the Courtesan of a Nation Arc, Tsukuyo was the 'first female to make Gin blush when she found out he was trying to unite Suzuran too. Tsukuyo also learned about Gins past and was enraged when she believed he was shot dead. During the Love Incense Arc, Tsukuyo became more openly attracted to Gintoki after inhaling the drug that caused love her to artificially fall in love with Gintoki. Gintoki himself became more caring towards Tsukuyo, more than the other notable females, even after inhaling said drug which allowed him to fall in love with every woman. He called Tsukuyo his woman in the same arc while Tsukuyo even called Gintoki 'darling' and Gintoki reciprocating by calling her 'honey' (though he used this word for every other woman during his drug educed state). At the end of the arc, Tsukuyo gently and playfully blows smoke in his face.
- Ketsuno Ana: Gintoki has a in love with the weather-girl, which he watches everyday. He even once escaped from his cleaning duties at the Otose Snack to go and buy a Ketsuno Ana figurine, but started tearing out calendar pages in despair when he saw on TV that she had suddenly gotten married. After her divorce with her husband, he started wishing for the chance to marry her and become a part of the Ketsuno Clan family. Gin blushed and tried to impress her when she came to odd jobs by trying to make everything look professional.
- Sarutobi Ayame: She is so in love with Gintoki to the extent that she stalks him constantly and wants to have a SM (sadist-masochist) playtime with him. Gintoki's denial and sometimes even hostile attitudes towards her only encourages her as she believes it is part of the "sadistic" nature of Gintoki, resulting in a larger ambition to get with Gintoki.In the Scandal arc she mentioned that she would never trick Gintoki but in that case she did it in order to live with him. Though Gintoki usually treats her badly- to the point of open hostility- he did rescue her when she fell from a building during the Kintama arc.
- Shimura Tae: Often viewed as Gin's girlfriend on multiple occasions, Gin does not appear to have any interest in her. In episode 217, Gin saw her in a swimsuit and called her "Roboto de Flato" due to her flat chest. Though there are subtle hints that Tae has romantic feelings for Gintoki, such as when Gintoki's memory were lost, she blushed and complimented him about his eyes. They generally argue about everything and Tae usually physically abuse him. But it hints that Tae is the one understands Gintoki the most.
- Yagyuu Kyuubei: Gintoki is the only guy that made Kyuubei behave like a girl and makes her nervous or blush whenever he touches her. She even cried for Gintoki during the Kintama Arc, when she lost the memories of him. This causes Toujou to use Gintoki to bring an end to Kyuubei's boyhood and make her develop romantic feelings for men and forget the romantic feelings she has toward Tae. It's inferred that she has possibly developed a few feelings toward him at the end of the Yagyuu arc, but she developed most of them at the group date, when he touched her in the hand and said that it felt nice to touch the hand of a beautiful women. In episode 217 Gin, upon seeing Kyuubei's breasts while she was in a swimsuit, commented that she had big jugs.
- Imai Nobume: Isaburo said that Gintoki's influence on Nobume has started to change her. In the end she even went against her commanders orders, allowing Rotten Maizou to go to Yoshiwara.
- Tama: Gintoki helped her when she was being tracked down by No. 502 and saved her head so Gengai could fix her. He also helped her 'let loose' after she began working at Otose's bar. Tama used Gintoki's appearance and strength as data to create the Leukocyte King, her virus defense system. During the Kintama Arc, Tama kept her memories of Gintoki and helped him regain his place in the Yorozuya.
- Rei: She helped Gintoki in The Ghost Ryokan Arc and joked that her reason for refusing to go to heaven was to wash Gins back in the future.
- Takasugi Shinsuke: Although Gintoki, Katsura and Takasugi studied together under Yoshida Shouyou and had the same starting point, Takasugi views them now as his enemies. Takasugi seeks to destroy what Shouyou left behind, while Gintoki protects what Shouyou left behind. Imai Nobume said that the only similarities that Gintoki and Takasugi share are their sorrowful eyes. Gintoki and Katsura swore that they would do everything to take him down in Benizakura arc. Likewise Takasugi said to Kamui that he wants to kill Gintoki. During the Reunion Arc. Its was revealed that Gintoki and Takasugi were also rivals during the war, likely because Takasugi succeeded in winning over a prostitute that they both wanted.  Another could be their rival leadership, which made Gintoki inaverdently offend Takasugi for his upper-class merchant family heritage, despite the fact that Takasugi was disowned.  The reason why he hates Gintoki, more, was because he was given an ultimatum into killing Shouyou when he was forced by Tendoushou, under order of Sada Sada to kill their teacher in front of them during Joui war, but in fact for the sake of his and his former allies' life.
- Kamui: Elder brother of Kagura. Kamui has his eyes set on Gintoki as a prey after he and the Hyakka defeated Housen. He has combined his forces with Kiheitai.
- Oboro: Successor of Tensho School and leader of assassin organization Naraku. They've encountered each other in the Joui war when Oboro slayed many of Gintoki's allies but Oboro failed to kill him. They've met up again when Gintoki confronted Tokugawa Sada Sada, Gintoki assumes he died when he impaled him with his Bokutou, but in truth he managed to survive and report to the Tendoshu about Shouyou's students.
- Okada Nizou: Okada Nizou was first met as a hired blade. He was employed by Hashida to find his grandson. He would later appear as a member of Kiheitai and as a wielder of Benizakura sword. He was defeated by Gintoki when the Benizakura took over his body. His fater remains uncertain.
- Kawakami Bansai: Kiheitai's assassin and negotiator. He was seen first time by Gintoki aboard Harusame spaceship next to Takasugi. When Bansai observed Gintoki and Katsura as they fought the Harusame troops, Bansai stated that he'd like to have a death match with both of them. He would later appear as the main antagonist of the Shinsengumi Crisis Arc, where he used Itou Kamotarou as a tool to destroy Shinsengumi from within. When he realized that Gintoki was fighting the Shinsengumi, he attacked Gintoki. They had an intense fight before Bansai was finally defeated by Gintoki. Later on Bansai was seen talking to Takasugi about Gintoki. He stated that falling in love with Gintoki's "song" was his defeat, with which he implied that he held back during the fight.
- Housen: Powerful Yato clansman also known as King of the Night. He was defeated by the combined forces of Hyakka and Gintoki and later killed when he came into contact with the sun.
- Jiraia: Tsukuyo's master and original leader of the Hyakka. He appeared again in Yoshiwara after Tsukuyo learned to rely on others and intended to make her independent by killing all dear to her. Jiraia managed to defeat and almost kill both Gintoki and Tsukuyo during their first fight. After that he took Tsukuyo with him to make her kill him. Gintoki followed his threads to find him and stopped him right before Jiraia was going to slice Tsukuyo's skin off. He was then defeated by Gintoki.
- Doromizu Jirochou: One of the Four Devas and leader of Dobunezumi yakuza. He is old Joushishi veteran who is also childhood friend of Otose. While not techically evil, he forsake his humanity in order to stop Kujaku Hime Kada to conquer the Kabuki District the same way Housen obtained Yoshiwara. In his last duel with Jirochou, Gintoki spared his life as he was important to Terada Tatsugorou and saved him from his suffering. He retired after Kada was repelled from Kabuki District.
- Sakata Kintoki: An android which was created by Gengai to substitute Gintoki when he was absent. Kintoki soon conquered protagonist title with his hypnosis wave when Gintoki was away. Kintoki had altered Edo's residents memories so that he had always been the protagonist of Gintama (or more fittingly, Kintama). While Gintoki has many flaws as protagonist, Kintoki was designed to have none of them. However, Kintoki lacks genuine human empathy, and is single-minded in his goal to erase Gintoki from his own series, even when it comes to wiping the minds of other characters such as Tama or even the Kabuki District that had looked up to him.
- Jugem Jugem: For some reason Jugem Jugem hates his face and likes to throw poop at him. All monkeys share this hatred for him.
- Tokugawa Sada Sada: At the beginning of the courtesan of a nation, Gintoki feared giving away his disguise of Shige Shige to Sada Sada. Gintoki became determined to finish him after he and his comrades found out that he was a corrupted leader that used Suzuran just for political power and ripped off Rotten Maizou's arm, when Maizou made a promise with Suzuran instead of killing her. Gintoki later gained intense hate towards Sada Sada after he cut off Maizou's second arm causing Gintoki to throw Sada Sada into the wall with Oboro. The hatred reached its peak when Sada Sada revealed that he was responsible for Shouyou's execution and went on to badmouth shouyou in front of Gintoki; Gintoki struggled to stand up in spite of being poisoned by Oboro and tried to kill him. He failed to kill him, and Oboro poisoned him even more, but eventually carried out his revenge when Oboro shot at him with needles but managed to strike Sada Sada by mistake.
- Daraku: Gintoki and Katsura charged into a Harusame ship to save Shinpachi and Kagura from Daraku and his Harusame pirates. His fate remains uncertain.
- Onijishi: Dakini mercenary. Gintoki fought against Onijishi after the latter killed Oshou Doushin. His fate remains uncertain.
- According to Sorachi, Gintoki's name was based on Sakata Kintoki, also known as Kintaro, from a famous folk tale set in the Heian Period. Kintaro became friends with the animals that lived on the mountain where he was raised, and was even capable of battling with them. After certain events, he became a samurai and eventually went under the name Sakata Kintoki (坂田公時). Sorachi-sensei, in one of the question corners explains this, and doesn't intend on making Gin-san a descendant of Kintaro.
- Gintoki likes to order a custom "red beans on rice" dish at his local restaurant.
- He might not look like it, but Gintoki was noted by Sorachi as a skilled chef. It was said that he was at the "steel man" level when it comes to cooking  (mentioned in episode 92's behind the scenes). He is also a capable baker, being able to bake his own strawberry cake at Shinpachi's house as shown in episode 2.
- His design was actually for Hijikata's when Sorachi lost his first design.
- It is only during the second part of Episode 97 that Gintoki did not assault Sarutobi Ayame. This maybe due to him been sick and feable, or it could be in the way Sarutobi approached him and slept next to him unchantedly that made him unable to beat to her.
- Gin bows to the Shinsengumi for the first time in Lesson 406 in order to save Obi Hajime, which caused Sougo to take pictures or record Gin on his phone.
- Gintoki's nickname Shiroyasha in the Japanese manga meaning White Demon is change to White Knight in the English translation VIZ media.
- Even though Gintoki had swore not to kill people, but so far he had tried to kill Tokugawa Sada Sada, Oboro, at the beginning Doromizu Jirochou and tried to get rid without caring if they died to Sakata Kintoki and Kawakami Bansai, as well as killing Okada Nizou, and Housen. He was also seen killing Naraku agents in the Courtesan of a Nation Arc, as well as many Amanto throughout the Benikazura Arc and the Kabukicho Four Devas Arc.
- Ketsuno Cristel is the only female character to not really know him well and not to attack him at all.
- In Episode 111, it was shown that Gintoki has at least 3 pairs of his normal attire (consisting of yukata and his black pants and shirt) when Shinpachi was hanging laundry inside their house.
- In Episode 45, Gintoki accidentally revealed his genitals on the national news after forgetting to zip up his pants.
- Whenever he loses after he gambles, he is commonly shown wearing pink boxers with strawberry pattern. In episode 111, some of his undergarments were shown hanging including the strawberry-patterned one.
- Gintoki's nickname, Shiroyasha literally means "white demon".
- Gintoki's dominant hand is his right one.
- Apparently, Gintoki can sleep with his eyes wide open.
- His favorite drink is milk / buttermilk strawberry.
- In the Yoshiwara Arc, Gin stated he dislikes women that are clingy.
|Fight||Outcome||Time it Occurred|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Kondou Isao||Win||Lesson 8|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Hijikata Toushiro||Win||Lesson 9|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Daraku||Loss||Lesson 12-13|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Daraku: Rematch||Win||Lesson 14|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Onijishi||Win||Episode 27|
|Yorozuya and Shimura Tae vs. Eromes||Win||Episode 30|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Hattori Zenzou||Win||Episode 44|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou||Win||Episode 51|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou: Rematch||Loss||Episode 58|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Okada Nizou: Final Fight||Win||Episode 61|
|Sakata Gintoki and Katsura Kotarou vs. Harusame||Retreat||Episode 61|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. No. 502||Win||Episode 72|
|Sakata Gintoki and Shimura Shinpachi vs. Yagyuu Kyuubei and Yagyuu Binbokusai||Win||Episode 81|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Kawakami Bansai||Win||Episode 104|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Nakamura Kyoujirou||Loss||Episode 107|
|Sakata Gintoki and Nakamura Kyoujirou vs. Yazuka Gang||Retreat||Episode 108|
|Yorozuya and Tsukuyo vs. Kamui, Abuto and Ungyo||Loss||Episode 140|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Housen||Almost Loss||Episode 143|
|Sakata Gintoki, Tsukuyo and Hyakka vs. Housen||Win||Episode 145|
|Sakata Gintoki and Tsukuyo vs. Jiraia||Loss|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Jiraia||Win||Episode 179|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Doromizu Jirochou First Fight||Loss||Episode 211|
|Sakata Gintoki and Doromizu Jirochou vs. Shinra||Win||Episode 214|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Doromizu Jirochou Final Fight||Win||Episode 214|
|Yorozuya, Kaientai, Katsura and Elizabeth vs. Dark Vader||Win||Episode 235|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Sakata Kintoki||Win||Episode 256|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Oboro||Loss||Episode 259|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Oboro: Rematch||Win||Episode 260|
|Sakata Gintoki vs. Obi Hajime||Loss for holding back||Episode 263|
|Sakata Gintoki vs Okita Sougo||Draw||
- (To Hijikata, anime only) "You can slash away any number of men, but you can never betray a girl's innocence."
- (To the loan shark Amanto) "The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet I'll pick it up."
- (To Terada Tatsugorou grave) "I won't forget this favor, the old lady probably doesn't have much time left. From now on, I'll protect her for you."
- (To Katsura) "What's the use of fighting a futile fights? Do you really intend to lose more of your friends for something like that? I'll pass on that, as long as I'm alive I'll live by my own rules. I'll live how I see beautiful and protect those I hold dear."
- (To Hasegawa) "So what if the government collapses or the country is ruined! I'm not civic-minded! All I want is to stand tall, and live on until the day I collapse and die!"
- (To Katsura) "If you've got enough free time to fantasize about your beautiful death... Why don't you just live your life beautifully to the end?"
- (To Shinpachi) "A samurai doesn't need a reason to take action. If something needs saving, all you have to do is grab your sword. Do you love your sister?"
- (To Katsura) "All of the sudden I'm feeling this weight again. If I threw it away it might be easier, but somehow I don't feel like it. It would be too boring to keep walking without them."
- (To Daraku) "Listen, I don't care what you do around the universe, but this is my sword, and anywhere it reaches is my country!"
- (To Daraku) "Bastards who mess with my things, whether it's a general, space pirates or meteorites, I'll crush them!"
- (To Hasegawa) "Men don't need to speak the same language, they can communicate with their soul."
- (To Sakamoto) "Sorry, but despite how I look, I really love this planet."
- (To Sakamoto) "I'll just relax here and cast my fishing line, I'll catch a shooting star or two and release them to the sky."
- (To Hijikata) "Whether I go or not I'll die anyway, I have an organ more important than my heart. Although you can't see it, I feel it going through my head down to my feet, and I know it exist within me. It lets me stand on my feet, it lets me walk forward without trembling. If I stop here, I feel like it would break.... My soul will break."
- (To Umibouzu ) "Relax. I have no intention on taking that annoying brat back, of course I have no intention on dying here, but I have no intention on letting her die either."
- (To Umibouzu ) "I don't really get the little things, but if you have a caring parent what more would you need? I had always wanted a family like yours."
- (To Nizou) "Those who can easily kill others are shit-heads who can't even see the pain of others, even if your whole body can see, your soul can't see a thing."
- (To Kanshichirou) "Maybe, after you grow a little more and you still remember about me, come and find me again. I'll be glad to do more things with you then."
- (To Kanshichirou) "Oh, it's a promise. A samurai never makes a promise he can't keep. Laugh a lot, cry a lot, and hurry grow to become an adult, I'll be waiting"
- (To Kondo Isao ) "I told you, Mako-chan is your image mascot. Stupidly and barbaricly protecting the peace of Edo"
- (To Katsura) "Zura if you ever change, I'll be the first one to cut you down"
- (To Okuni) "You know, in our lives we are not readers but we are writers, the least we could do is change the ending"
- (To Marinosuke) "If we're unable to climb down the mountain, then we won't know whether there's another mountain to climb up"
- (To Shimura Shinpachi) "We're not here for justice or whatever and not for your sister either, we're here for you"
- (To Yagyuu house 1st head along with Shinmura Shinpachi) "The world that surpasses men and women? I could careless idiot! People who let their love ones cry, doesn't matter if it's man or woman, are all scumbags who needs to be punished!"
- (To Ryuzan) "Hey dad, she's not in rebellious phase, it's time to let your little girl grow up, you can't keep taking baths with her forever you know!"
- (To Tama) "The ability to feel pain, is important for a living thing. We all live our lifes in troublesome meachine in one way or another, sometimes they leak oil. When that happens let it all out, if it doesn't stop then we'll help you clean it"
- (To Bansai) "Then and now, what I protect has never changed."
- (To Bansai) "I'll give you a limb or two. However, no matter how many you cut... this string... this rotten bond... If you think you can cut it, then just try!"
- (To Kyoujirou) "Stop trying to act cool! If you really think the old man as your farther, live on! I don't care if you could only take is a single flower but visit his grave and live on!"
- (To Katsura) "Compared to being young and beautiful, it's a much harder task to live and walk honestly even with a crooked back, when raising our souls beautifully is far more meaningful"
- (To Otohime) "Why did you wait for him for hundreds and thousand of years, why among the hundreds and thousand words you've heard, only his words that you couldn't forget? Isn't because he looked through your soul when he said it? didn't you fall in love with that man's soul? So what if you're covered in wrinkles and your back is bent? whether you wear dentures or you're covered with age spots or you've gone senile, LIVE! Live on and greet him with that wrinkled face of yours"
- (To Shinpachi) "I'm not interested on keeping anyone around who isn't willing to share, even if he's an animal."
- (To Sadaharu) "The Sakata family will always share when times are tough, with food and also pain."
- (To Tsuu's Father) "The best way to live a full life is to be a child, no matter what your age."
- (To Tama) "I didn't forget it.... I couldn't if I tried. Because the colors of all you idiots are mixed into it."
- (To Shachi) "You may be a powerless prisoner locked in a cell, but no man can put a lock on you or anyone else's dream. Release from this cold cell your dream."
- (To criminal pigs) "If it’s a shinigami you want, there’s one right here, you buncha criminal pigs."
- (To Ikeda Asaemon) "Even if you need to use that sword as a cane, move forward!"
- ( To Kurokono Tasuke) " A shadow won't appear on the ground unless there's at least a little bit of light . If just one person remembered, you won't get any punishment. So, if something happens, come and help us again. Kurokono."
- (To Takasugi Shinsuke) "While you've abandoned a hundred, I've connected with a thousand. While you've destroyed a thousand, I've been saved by ten thousand. So what's an army of a few thousand? We have protected everything as just three people. We're the Yorozuya."
- (To Takasugi Shinsuke) "Even if I......have to use my master's corpse as a stepping stone, Taksugi, even if I have to use your corpse as a stepping stone, I will protect the soul of his diciple, our comrade, Takasugi Shinsuke of Shouka Sonjuku. I am the diciple of Yoshida Shouyou, Sakata Gintoki."
Gintama The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya
- (To Shinpachi and Kagura) " Are you ready to reform the Yorozuya with me?"
- (To Shimura Tae) " Your future.. Our future.. This world's future.. We'll change it for the better."
- (To Enmi) " I might have lost sight of it before, but I'm going to take it back this time. My future! Even if it means I have to crush your future to do it!"
- (To Shinpachi and Kagura) " A three piece set, huh? I'm sure your set will be complete again. I know we'll meet again. So I'm going to hang on to this."
- (To Time Thief) " I'm not going to be erased. Even if everyone forgets. I'm not going to forget.. So can you let them know? ' It was a lot of fun running the Yorozuya with you guys'."
- (To Shinpachi and Kagura) " Thanks to you dumbasses, I can't see a tomorrow or yesterday, forward or behind me. But there is one thing I can see thanks to you guys. The place where a dumbass like me belongs!"
- (To Shimura Tae) "I don't remember owing you a damn thing. After all I might have saved the future, but I also saved the craziest chick I know from hell!"
- (To Sa-chan and Tsukuyo) "Yet you refuse to face me? Don't tell me you two aged."
- (To Enmi) " No matter how it is, I'll bear the burdens I've earned. And I'll take as many crappy curses as many times it takes."
- (To Enmi) " No matter hoy many times you people curse me, no matter how many times I end up destroying the world, my world isn't going anywhere. Your little curse, the hands I'd crush the world with, those fools will tear it apart everytime!"
- (To Enmi) " Can't save anything? No. Even a dirty sword like me, can still protect something!"
- (To Yorozuya) " All right, look closely. So that we can meet again someday. Look real closely, so no matter how far we're sepparated, we can track each other down."
- (To Yorozuya) " I know we'll meet again. No matter when or where, I'll be in Kabuki-chou, working under the Yorozuya sign.. Its a promise."
- ↑ Gintama Manga: Lesson 434, page 5
- ↑ Anime episode 181 - Red Spider Arc
- ↑ Gintama Manga: Lesson 454: page 12
- ↑ Gintama Manga: Lesson 477, page 8
- ↑ Sorachi Hideaki, Gintama, VIZ media, Vol. 7, "Sorachi's Q&A Corner #10", page(s) 50.
- ↑ Sorachi Hideaki, Gintama, VIZ media, Vol. 13, "Sorachi's Q&A; Hanging with the Readers #38", page(s) 106.
|List of Gintama Characters|
|Yorozuya Gin Chan 万事屋銀ちゃん||Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時 • Shimura Shinpachi 志村 新八 • Kagura 神楽 • Sadaharu 定春|
|Old Yorozuya 旧万事屋||Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時 • Kanemaru 金丸 • Ikesawa 池沢 • Furuhashi (古橋) • Beautiful Fleshy Woman 肉感的な美女|
|Yorozuya Kin Gon Chan 万事屋金良ちゃん||Stainless Boy ステンレスボーイ • Kanemaru 金丸 • Ikesawa 池沢 • Furuhashi 古橋|
|Old Jouishishi 旧攘夷志士||Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時 • Katsura Kotarou 桂 小太郎 • Takasugi Shinsuke 高杉 晋助 • Sakamoto Tatsuma 坂本 辰馬 • Saigou Tokumori 西郷 特盛 • Hiraga Saburou 平賀 三郎 • Doromizu Jirochou 泥水 次郎長 • Terada Tatsugorou|
|Sakata Gintoki's doppelgangers||Sakata Gintoki 坂田 銀時 • Leukocyte King 白血球王 • Kintoki 金時 • Chinkasu Samurai ちんかす侍 • Stainless Boy ステンレスボーイ • Ginpachi-sensei|